Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Pete Hobson
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 28 August, 2020 10:45
Pete Hobson
BarmierKev 28 August, 2020 10:45
It is with great sadness to report our cricket friend from Yorkshire Pete Hobson passed away this week after a long battle with cancer.

We would always try to meet for Middlesex v Yorkshire games. We especially enjoyed his hospitality at Scarborough. He was most gracious in our company during that Championship deciding game. He had this habbit of tagging me on Facebook to Yorkshire games I was not at, confusing a lot of people including my employers.

Our final meeting was when Barnet beat Sheffield United against all the odds in the FA Cup. No sour grapes about the result and he sent a warm congratulations message on my teams unlikely win. I messaged Pete when Sheff U got promoted to the Premeirship and rather than brag made reference to Barnet beating them that season.

I feel privileged having known Pete and am grateful to Beefy for the introduction. RIP Pete (Hobbo) Hobson.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Pete Hobson
BeefyRoberts 28 August, 2020 11:58
Really well put Kev, thanks for posting, as I was struggling to think how to do it.
Yea, Pete was a great cricket and football guy.
He played cricket to a fairly good level as well, and followed Yorkshire to a good few games, he loved Scarborough as well, and been to Lords as well.
We have a good bit of friendly banter over the Middlesex/Yorkshire games!
Always smiling, and, like you, I was always being tagged in games I hadn't been to...maybe it was one of his little jokes we both fell for!
I'm going to take a screenshot of your posting and send it hobo.

Pete fought bloody hard, but, sadly got beaten in the end.

RIP Pete

BarmierKev 23 September, 2020 18:47
This Pete Hobson quote on Facebook 4 years today

So People Are Saying That Somerset Have Been Cheated Because Middlesex/Yorkshire Contrived The Result!So 2 Teams Wanting To Win The County Championship & Making It Exciting Are Wrong.Settle For A Bore Draw & Hand Them The Title.I Cannot Speak For Middlesex But We Have Been On The Receiving End Of So Called Contrived Results Which You Don't Like But Today It Made The County Championship Great Again.

Your wisdom and fair mindedness is greatly missed

Barmy Kev

BarmierKev 23 September, 2020 18:52
And one more. He missed the last day.
Congratulations Keith Roberts Kevin Ziants & Margaret Watton.... Have A Drink On Me..... But Get Steve Hobson To Pay.. 😂

Barmy Kev

BeefyRoberts 23 September, 2020 20:13
Pete never missed the chance to congratulate when needed.
Certainly never a sore loser, and same with his football.

Rogers and Out 24 September, 2020 08:25
A top man who will be sadly missed.

At the game in Scarborough in 2016, I used to wander over to the Indigo Alley with Pete and his brother Steve at lunch and would invariably miss the resumption of play as the beer flowed freely.

I last saw Pete prior to the Sheffield United v Barnet FA Cup tie at Bramall Lane in 2019 and enjoyed his excellent company once more.

Rest in peace Pete.

Primrose Hillbilly 24 September, 2020 13:59
In 2016, Hobbo and Dean came into the pub with and fronted up, despite having just seen their team lose.

He didn't join in our celebrations, he could have gone home straight away, but they were there. Maybe, because they knew it was only sport, and friendships are much more important.

Class.

RIP Hobbo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net