Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Blake Cullen on loan to Surrey for five minutes
adelaide 01 September, 2020 13:33
Fuller was a quite different sort of bowler to Podmore, so I doubt that would have affected decisions. Fuller himself did not get that many pf the four day opportunities that he presumably wanted. Was that another error by the Gang of Whatever? I don't think so; we had better alternatives.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 01 September, 2020 13:38
I don't think "too much like Murtagh" really holds up to examination. The reason people on MTWD got peeved is that while we were sinking in div 2, Podmore was prospering in div 1.
Either that means that the coaches and management didn't recognise potential and were incapable of nurturing it, or that Podmore was unhappy here because he felt that he wasn't valued , or that Kent coaches and management are better at recognising talent and improving performance. Possibly all 3.
Whatever the answer it's certainly not our finest hour.

Seaxe_man1 01 September, 2020 15:24
Fuller like the others n front through the turnstile wasn't valued. Signed as white ball primarily. Not a past time favoured by the hierarchy. I have to commend your dogged defence Adelaide of the 2009 regime (or class of 2009).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 15:25 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 01 September, 2020 15:29
It would be interesting what the late EM Wellings who wrote The History of Middlesex Cricket would have written up on the 2009 regime. An interesting chapter I reckon.

adelaide 01 September, 2020 17:14
It's not dogged defence, SM, rather a desire for some balance rather than seeing them written off as complete nincampoops with perfect hindslght.

Fuller was signed for white ball, you correctly say but then you say that is not a pastime favoured by the hierarchy. In which case why did that same hierarchy sign him in the first place?

Looking at Freddie's post, he is correct that the rumblings on MYWD started when Podmore saw success in Div 1 while we struggled in Div 2. Exactly, the discontent it was after the event. I doubt if anyone would have given Podmore a second thought if we had not made such a mess of a promotion campaign.

Players leave counties all the time for different reasons. Some do well at new counties while others sink without trace. I don't think either should be given too much weight in judging the regime at the county they left; it's just the way things pan out sometimes. My problem with all this is that the flow is entirely one way, possibly for financial reasons. I wonder how many players have moved counties since Middlesex last signed someone from elsewhere, disregarding the special case of Tom Barber?

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 01 September, 2020 18:07
I don't think anyone wants us to become a feeder county for "bigger" counties. When did we last make a quality signing from other counties? Is it all due to finances?

adelaide 01 September, 2020 22:14
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
I don't think anyone wants us to become a feeder county for "bigger" counties. When did we last make a quality signing from other counties? Is it all due to finances?

Even worse, a feeder county for smaller counties.

From memory, Denly and Harris were the last two signings of established quality players. Denly struggled in London, it seems, while Harris has blown cold a bit more often than might have been hoped.

Adelaide

freddie tittlemouse 01 September, 2020 22:35
Harris was hyped at the time as the new Jimmy Anderson and we beat 10 other counties for his signature so hasn't really lived up to expectations. Denly likewise. So perhaps that's where the aversion to signings arises.

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 16:54
Blake Cullen, or someone wearing his shirt, squad number 19, was playing at MTS today. Must say it looked like him.

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 17:02
The policy is now, as I understand it, to be. Development of our Academy players such at to arrive with a truly Mx team. Hollman, Islington, Cracknell Enfield, Cullen Hounslow are moving that way. Two from W6 let go. Here's hoping it works. Costs a factor. Which is a good reason not to waste development costs for the benefit of others. Feeder county for others as Fred said.

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 17:06
Fuller whiteball signing. Then released. Confusion or what Adelaide. Doesn't suggest clear thinking for sure. More like on the hoof.

adelaide 02 September, 2020 17:26
SM

Middlesex surely wanted to keep Fuller. He wanted to go. Clear thinking or not, what were they supposed to do?

Adelaide

adelaide 02 September, 2020 17:26
SM

Middlesex surely wanted to keep Fuller. He wanted to go. Clear thinking or not, what were they supposed to do?

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 17:48
Quote:
adelaide
SM

Adelaide
I heard a different version Adelaide which might be hearsay . Don't wish to comment further. As you say. Water under the bridge.

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 22:06
Adelaide I give you four white ball players elbowed by Mx, all doing well, to demonstrate the lack of partiality for that form of the game. Bear in mind we are a poor white ball side for many a long year.. TMJ Smith. A Rossington. R Higgins. JK Fuller. I rest my case m'lud.

adelaide 02 September, 2020 22:25
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Adelaide I give you four white ball players elbowed by Mx, all doing well, to demonstrate the lack of partiality for that form of the game. Bear in mind we are a poor white ball side for many a long year.. TMJ Smith. A Rossington. R Higgins. JK Fuller. I rest my case m'lud.

Fair point, though the last of them first had to be signed by the same people with little interest in white ball cricket. To accommodate retaining Smith and Rossington would have meant even less opportunity for Patel and losing Simpson; I don't think Rossington showed enough in his chances with us to be picked as a batsman alone. Losing Higgins was another matter.

Adelaide

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 09:47
At the time until Dave Houghton improved his batting, John Simpson was not a shoe in for white ball. He is now. So, Rosso with better management could have been used in white ball as a batsman. This opportunity was wasted. But then as I said, and I have heard one of the Board say so. Not into that sort of thing. I agree that Rosso was likely to move on as he kept failing his bleep tests. And wasn't I gather flavour of the month. Northants I fancy to make the Edgbaston final. Got the players to do it Adelaide.

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 09:53
I would say that Tom Smith was let go to bring in Rayner. Smith I would say more of an asset across the board. As two spinners were never an option. Rayner rather than Smith limited Patel's to scant opportunity.

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 10:07
My other thought on the wish of some to prioritise red ball and ignore white ball Adelaide is this. It would make perfect sense if we were up there challenging in that arena in the recent past. Apart from 2016 we largely haven't. Plus subscriptions are our second revenue stream. Do you not think that a decent white ball side getting to the later stages would not attract interest and potentially members,, badly needed revenue wise. Even though we ain't much cop, we draw full houses in T20 fixtures. Need to convert some of that interest to revenue imho.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net