Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blake Cullen on loan to Surrey for five minutes
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 30 August, 2020 18:27
Blake Cullen on loan to Surrey for five minutes
chunkyinargyll 30 August, 2020 18:27
[www.middlesexccc.com]

Ever so slightly staggered by this, even if only for one week.

Even if they have England call ups and injuries I thought Surrey had plenty of people to call on.

A chance for Alec Stewart, Vikram Solanki and Richard Johnson to chat him up?

Edited to alter thread title smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2020 14:17 by chunkyinargyll.

Re: Blake Cullen on loan to Surrey
Jonathan Winsky 30 August, 2020 18:51
As is stands, the most amount of matches Blake Cullen can play for Surrey is two, as he was in their squad for today’s tie v Essex at The Oval but was not selected, and it has been agreed that he can’t play next Saturday v Middlesex at The Oval, although he could potentially play for Surrey on Tuesday and Thursday.

When I heard before the season started that counties had agreed that, if required, they would loan players out to help teams depleted by player unavailability, I anticipated that it would be more likely that Middlesex would provide players to other counties than bring them in, so I suppose it isn’t a big surprise to that someone has briefly departed or that there appears to be little need or prospect of anyone coming in the opposite direction. However, it is a surprise that of all the players on our books, the player to be loaned out is someone who had yet to make his professional debut until last week’s match v Sussex at Radlett.

I imagine that many people at Middlesex will be hopeful that this does not suggest that Cullen’s long-term future lies away from the club.

I would like to think that Middlesex will benefit financially from this loan, although I can’t see Surrey being charged much for a week of the services of an 18-year-old whose must be one of the lower earners on our payroll.

adelaide 30 August, 2020 22:42
Surrey have an extraordinary number of injuries, on top of a substantial loss of England bubble players, and are particularly short of seamers.

Thing are so bad there that one poster in Another Place speculated that Cullen had probably got injured in the warm-up!

Blake Cullen sounds to me like it should be the name of a secret agent or a start of a certain sort of film, rather than a cricketer. But then with a Zak playing for England...

Adelaide

VincentVanDerVictory 30 August, 2020 22:46
It is a slght surprise to actually ( finally).concur with one of your posts Chunky!!

I too am staggered by on the face of it bizarre decision to loan Blake Cullen into.the clutches of the auld enemy Surrey of all teams!

Middkesex should not be doing Surrey any favours and it feels incredulous that Surrey would have none of their own players as options.. This is proven as Surrey have NOT picked Culen to play in their T20 game today despite Cullen being available and eligible to play for Surrey today.

Your latter comment Chunky namely that of Cullen potentially being ' chatted up ' by Stewart, Johnsin & Co.is a genuine cause for concern.

I wish the Middlesex CCC hierarchy would get it's act together and get more key decisions right.

# Bring Blake Cullen back!

Seaxe_man1 31 August, 2020 08:30
A phone call from Stewy to Fraser. Stick a few quid on it.

chunkyinargyll 31 August, 2020 08:50
I bet we're the first club a county calls whenever they need reinforcements.

I mean- we never say no, do we?

Why waste your time phoning anyone else?

Blake can spend his time productively by asking the 22 year olds on Surrey's staff how much they are paid, so by 2024 he'll know what he expects Middlesex to be paying him at that stage.

If we can't match it, he'll be gone.

Seaxe_man1 31 August, 2020 09:29
His agent will demand a release clause as the sins of the 2009regime are now common knowledge amongst the agents fraternity.

chunkyinargyll 31 August, 2020 14:07
Recalled by Middlesex after 24 hours!

(Sm22)

Fozzie 31 August, 2020 14:08
Blake has now been recalled and is in the 15-man squad for today's game v Sussex. Shortest loan on record?

chunkyinargyll 31 August, 2020 14:11
I'd like to think we did that just to mess Surrey around, but we're far too nice to pull a stunt like that.

Re: Blake Cullen on loan to Surrey for five minutes
Seaxe_man1 31 August, 2020 14:30
It's that release clause again.

Seaxe_man1 31 August, 2020 15:12
It could be someone with commonsense could see another Tom Lace farce in the making.

VincentVanDerVictory 31 August, 2020 15:29
Common sense prevails
Blake Cullen returns
Now play him for god sake ( instead of James Harris )

adelaide 31 August, 2020 15:40
Before we get too paranoid about this, I am just trying to remember - has anyone who has been out on loan from us actually ended up permanently at the county to which they went on loan? There must be some but I can't think of any.

Adelaide (on loan to 21st Century)

VincentVanDerVictory 31 August, 2020 19:21
Adelaide

Two immediately come to mind

Billy Godleman on loan to Essex then moved permanently to Essex the following season

and likewise Adam Rossington with Northants

There are probably others.

Seaxe_man1 31 August, 2020 19:44
Harry Podmore to Kent. Loan then permanent.

adelaide 31 August, 2020 22:11
Godelman and Rossington - agreed.

Podmore was on loan elsewhere, surely? Glamorgan springs to mind.

There are of course loans which are a way round any issues that would be raised by permanent moves mid-season. The Clarke-Sibley swap was initially on a loan basis but there was never any pretence that the moves were temporary. That sort of thing seems to be a recent dodge; as far as I can recall, neither Godelman nor Rossington fell into this category.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 01 September, 2020 08:49
Rings a bell Adelaide. By the Kent move he knew the writing was on the wall Mx wise, so took it. A friend who went to Dubai for MCC game asked Harry if he was playing. Answer. You have to be joking. His card had been marked that far back. At the risk of annoying you. I repeat. The 2009 regime were not the sharpest tool in the box. Subsequent events suggest that.

adelaide 01 September, 2020 10:25
SM

According to Wikipedia there was an agreement that he could move if a county came in for him, which is a bit Lace-like, though not linked to whether or not he was being picked. I suspect that sort of clause is not unique to Middlesex. He also went on loan to Durham to play Second XI cricket with a view to a permanent move - which Durham's woes at the time may have been kiboshed - before moving to Kent.

So, yes, his card had clearly been marked (or - depending on how you look at it - the club had been honest with him). Again, that is not unusual, surely?

I don't recall much of a commotion about his move on MTWD at the time. as it was thought that we had a pretty good set of seamers, thoygh some were to be injured and/or lose form. Podmore seemed to be competing primarily with Tim Murtagh for a place and he was never likely to win that one. At least not till Tim gets his free bus pass.

Hindsight is the only true form of 20-20 vision, they say!

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 01 September, 2020 12:09
You can rate someone, but at the same time not see how that person gets in to your side.

Of all our bowlers, Poddy is probably most like Murtagh (but these days a slightly better bat)

But do you need two Murtagh's in a team? (I await they reply of, 'We need four Murtagh's in a team')

At the time we couldn't fit him in, so the divorce was amicable, and Gus said a whole lot of nice things about him.

When Fuller left at the end of the same season Gus said nothing. If he had known Fuller was going to sod off somewhere else maybe he'd have fought harder to convince Poddy to stay, but that sort of thing cant really be blamed on Gus.

And, bearing in mind statistics can mean whatever you want them to mean, Poddy often gets outbowled ny 44 year old Darren Stevens.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net