Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Jason Gillespie : I Love County Cricket . It's better than the ECB credits.
Discussion started by Primrose Hillbilly , 01 September, 2020 18:18
Jason Gillespie : I Love County Cricket . It's better than the ECB credits.
Primrose Hillbilly 01 September, 2020 18:18
"Gillespie looked visibly emotional when asked if he would return to county cricket. It’s clear the game has given plenty back to him in his time on the circuit.

“I just love county cricket,” he said. “I love how everyone embraces it. It doesn’t get the credit it deserves. It’s a much better product than even the ECB gives it credit for. It doesn’t get enough love. I think the standard is quality.

[www.thecricketer.com]

Re: Jason Gillespie : I Love County Cricket . It's better than the ECB credits.
tallliman 01 September, 2020 19:03
He said the same on Tuffers and Vaughan on 5Live last week. Shame the ECB don't apear to trust their product in the same way.

Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 19:07
Nice to hear that from a person of Dizzy's stature.

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 10:15
Gillespie also said that the catching and fielding in the Blast is far superior to IPL or Big Bash. At odds with Graves who described The Blast as mediocre. Certainly Glaws out cricket last night was up there. Bowling and fielding were top notch.

tallliman 03 September, 2020 10:24
On that subject, I was listening to Vaughan the other night saying how good the England side is. Well the counties and the blast created them. If so, what's the justification for the Blundred?

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 11:14
A big pay cheque talliman, though covid-19 has scaled that back. Much is being pinned on the TV deals bringing in mega bucks which is claimed will be of general good. We await the outcome.

Seaxe_man1 29 September, 2020 12:47
An article by Nick Hoult in todays Telegraph spells out his thoughts on county cricket, with some contradictions headed up as - County game needs to decide if 18 counties is roo many. Funny how covid 19 regurgitated that annual subject.

His own preference is 12 in 2 divisions of 6 with ren games. He is a big fan of the Hundred so you can guess why. This he claims would allow fast bowlers to be rested and therefore be able to bowl at 90mph. Sounds feeble.

It also demonstrates the lack of knowledge of the county structure in media circles. They see only the top. When Hoult casually casts 6 aside , he fails to realise that they are linked to a county board who oversee club and grass roots cricket.

So, cutting off the head would affect them as well. Ask Hoult his choice if you poured a couple of drinks for him. He would likely concede: he is talking about rural counties which are vast areas of England.

He also explains the BWT as proposed. Despite all of the trumpeting about all can win it. In reality only those who make Group A in Sept, 6 in number, can win it.

The other two groups continue by going through the motions.

He admits he prefers promotion and relegation. If so, 2 divisions of 9 with 3 up and down and 16 games the way to go. Play across the Hundred. Red ball players are not required.

He also ludicrously reckons no one watches or is interested in 50 over cricket. Maybe so on the media benches, not so on the county members benches.

chunkyinargyll 29 September, 2020 13:37
I do wonder why Nick Hoult writes so much about a sport he obviously doesn't care about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net