Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

T20 Essex 3/9/20
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 02 September, 2020 15:02
T20 Essex 3/9/20
chunkyinargyll 02 September, 2020 15:02
15 man squad named-

Finn (c), Andersson, Cracknell, Cullen, Cummins, Davies, Eskinazi, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Holden, Hollman, Lincoln, Simpson (wk), Sowter.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 10:12 by BarmierKev.

Re: T20 Essex 3/9/20
Seaxe_man1 02 September, 2020 17:12
Runs at a premium. Need one of the top five to bat through. Even going back to Gatting's day. The accelerator was usually pressed by Mx an over or two too early and wickets lost, especially when wickets in hand are needed for the last couple of overs which can then be profitable.

Jonathan Winsky 02 September, 2020 20:17
My experience of being me tells me that when I get home tomorrow, I predict that the first piece of information which I will seek about this match will be whether James Harris is playing, as the seven overs he has bowled so far in this competition have gone for 16, 15, 14, 4, 15, 9 and 18 respectively. If he is not selected, our alternative options would be to replace him with Miguel Cummins or Blake Cullen, or to bring in another batsman and therefore get at least four overs from any combination of Martin Andersson, Nick Gubbins or Max Holden. Two other questions will be whether Luke Hollman will retain his place (yesterday, he did well in his first two overs in which he took two wickets and went for 16 runs, but conceded 17 in his third over and was not given a fourth over), and whether we make any changes in our bating department, in which everyone other than Andersson has so far made a good contribution. Personally, I would feel disappointed if Hollman and Andersson don’t both play, although if not, then at least another player would be getting an opportunity.

In our first match in this competition v Essex at Chelmsford, we scored 38 in our final three overs, and followed that v Kent at Lord’s by scoring 42 in that timeframe. Therefore, it was disappointing that we only scored 10 in our final two overs yesterday, despite having decent batsmen at the crease and having scored 76 in the preceding seven overs. Hopefully we will again have decent batsmen at the crease at that stage of our innings regardless of whether we bat first or second.

Essex have unhelpfully named 16 players in their squad and produced it in an image rather than in text format, so I have to type it out rather than copy and paste! The squad consists of Simon Harmer, Ben Allison, Aaron Beard, Varun Chopra, Sam Cook, Cameron Delport, Dan Lawrence, Aron Nijjar, Michael Pepper, Jamie Porter, Matt Quinn, Shane Snater, Ryan ten Doeschate, Paul Walter, Tom Westley and Adam Wheater.

tallliman 03 September, 2020 18:44
Cummins in for Harris. We bat first as Essex's insistence.

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2020 19:09
I didn't expect the start to be delayed tonight.

As Middlesex slowed after finishing the powerplay on 58-1 v Sussex at Lord’s on Tuesday (why do I have to go until the third entry of a Google search to find the scorecard to that match?), it will be interesting to see how we perform in the immediate aftermath of tonight’s powerplay (which we finished on 47-0) and then what total we post. One difference between the two matches is that Essex bowled two overs of spin in the powerplay tonight, whereas Sussex entirely used fast bowlers in that period.

I am glad that Martin Andersson and Luke Hollman have retained their places.

[edited to correct grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 19:11 by Jonathan Winsky.

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2020 19:37
I was very happy when Stevie Eskinazi and Max Holden shared a partnership of 97 in 10 overs for the first wicket.

I was less happy when both openers and Martin Andersson were out for the addition of 6 runs in the space of 9 balls, not only because it disrupted Middlesex’s momentum, but also because it casts doubt on whether the batsmen at the crease during the tail end of our innings will be players who can score big runs in those overs.

[edited because I initially spelt the word 'disrupted' as 'disputed]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 19:39 by Jonathan Winsky.

tallliman 03 September, 2020 19:44
Jonathan, stop googling scorecards and just look here: [www.cricketarchive.com]

Middlesex 130/4 in the 15th. Need a nice stand now.

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2020 20:10
As Middlesex scored what will go down as a disappointing 70 runs (with just two sixes and one four) in the final 10 overs, and Tom Helm had to come to the crease in the 18th over, the wickets we lost in the early part of the innings turned out to both disrupt our momentum and cause us to enter the tail end of our innings with our experienced big-hitters have long been dismissed. Still, our score is actually 2 runs better than on Tuesday.

Essex bowled 10 overs of spin and 3 overs of medium pace (they didn’t find an opportunity to bring on Paul Walter), so it will be interesting to see whether the majority of the overs we bowl will be delivered by the five bowlers we have selected, or whether we will do something similar to Essex by looking beyond that quintet.

The reason why I like looking at scorecards on Cricinfo is because it tells me the score at the end of each over.

tallliman 03 September, 2020 20:15
Agree with you that it was a disappointing 2nd half of the innings. Hollman batted well and Simpson got barely any strike.

No worries on the scorecards, just trying to help!

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 20:16
Followed the usual pattern too many wickets lost to push last overs. Hard work defending what looks twenty runs light. Surprise me.

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2020 21:02
When Miguel Cummins conceded 18 in his first over, I anticipated that Middlesex may have to get some overs from those who rarely bowl in this format (or indeed those who rarely bowl at all). However, he returned for the 6th over, in which the first five balls saw him dismiss Tom Westley and only concede one run, while the rest of our bowlers have so far mainly been economical, so hopefully we can continue the pressure by keeping the boundaries down and by preventing partnerships from building.

Seaxe_man1 03 September, 2020 21:48
Credit where it is due. Finn handled that well. Field placement excellent. Bowlers backed him up especially the spinners who kept it tight. Pace. No wides tonight either. Bowlers got us outa gaol there. Two points on the road to Edgbaston.

chunkyinargyll 03 September, 2020 21:59
An absorbing match.

Generally speaking, I find lower scoring matches where good bowling can at least put a bit of a break on the scoring far more enjoyable than slog fests.

Onwards to The Oval for Saturday evenings televised match.

Jonathan Winsky 03 September, 2020 22:02
Middlesex did their best to lose this match by - after having 40 to defend in the final 2 overs, with Essex having 3 wickets remaining - conceding 17 off the penultimate over and beginning the final over with a no ball and then 8 runs off the first 3 legitimate balls, but thankfully we didn’t mess it up!

After our batsmen found it difficult in the second half of our innings to get their tally of runs scored far from balls faced and to score boundaries, Essex’s batsmen had that difficulty for most of their innings.

Until the final over, we had four bowlers whose economy was below 6.75, so well done to them.

It would have been nice had Luke Hollman been awarded Man of the Match after being by far our best batsmen in the second half of our innings and taking two wickets, but Steven Finn took that accolade for his 3-18.

It is great that we won in the end, otherwise we may have regretted our reluctance to use sixth and seventh bowlers if bowlers are expensive, as Miguel Cummins was tonight. Maybe, another bowler would have performed better by bowling an over or so which he bowled, or maybe not. It seemed to be a like-for-like change for Cummins to play instead of James Harris, but I would have liked it not to have meant that he would be just as expensive!

tallliman 03 September, 2020 23:39
Really good win tonight.

Agree that its odd that we don't seem to truat anyone as 6th bowler.

Seaxe_man1 04 September, 2020 09:02
Good to see Mx spinners, two of, back in tandem for Mx captain to use after a long hiatus. Well bowled lads.

chunkyinargyll 04 September, 2020 09:39
Good to see Luke Hollman do the post match interview.

Unlike Jonathan, I don't know how to embed youtube videos, so you'll have to click on the link!

[www.middlesexccc.com]

dnb 04 September, 2020 10:13
I’m sure they said on the live stream Middlesex commentary that Luke Hollman was the Man of the Match...perhaps this was just a sponsor MoM...as the official MoM seems to be Steven Finn. Anyway, they both did well to secure the win.

adelaide 04 September, 2020 16:30
Middlesex's innings was a bit like a concerto in reverse - slow, fast, slow. Not sure I've seen one with quite that sort of contrast.

Good bowling and fielding won the day in the end. Watching Hollman bowl (admittedly from a funny angle - I'd much rather they stuck with the behind-the-keeper angle they use during the bowler's approach) reminded me of how different the spinner's task is in T20. Plenty of what would be four balls in the CC but they get hit to a deep fielder in T20.

Cummins went for a few too many but I think he poses a threat to the batsman that James Harris doesn't.

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net