Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Surrey T20 5/9/20
Bring back the Crusaders 05 September, 2020 20:26
............It will be a miracle if we win this!!

Jonathan Winsky 05 September, 2020 20:30
Middlesex must have a chance after taking four wickets, including Hashim Amla and Rory Burns, in the first 4.5 overs.

It will be interesting to see how James Harris will do tonight. At least he has taken two catches.

Despite the final over of our innings being faced by Tom Helm, Nathan Sowter and Steven Finn and not by the big-hitters we would have liked, it turned out to yield 11 potentially crucial runs and be only the second over of our innings to go for double-figures.

Jonathan Winsky 05 September, 2020 21:23
I felt that Middlesex had a great chance of winning this match after Surrey were reduced to 23-4, but that turned out to be the final wicket we took in the match. However, Ben Foakes and Jamie Smith didn’t find scoring particularly easy, so we would have only needed to have reached around 130 to make the match really interesting, or 140 to have had Surrey under real pressure.

I know that I sound like a broken record player in my comments on James Harris being expensive and Middlesex being reluctant to get overs from the likes of Martin Andersson, Max Holden or Nick Gubbins, but I spent a lot of Surrey’s innings hoping that Holden would get some overs instead of Harris after Nathan Sowter and Luke Hollman found bowling conditions as enjoyable as Surrey’s spinners earlier had. If we didn’t want Holden bowling late in the innings, we could have bowled him early on to enable Sowter and Hollman to bowl deeper in the innings. Admittedly, just after I had finished writing that paragraph, Andersson was introduced for the 18th over, although he conceded 13 runs, so maybe Holden should have bowled that over. Commentator Charlie Dagnell shared my sentiment about how beneficial it may have been to have had more bowling options.

snicko 05 September, 2020 21:26
Never going to defend that total - missed an off spinning option(s) on that wicket.

BeefyRoberts 05 September, 2020 21:27
Man of the match...
Mark Butcher for his 100% biased commentary wearing his sombrero

Jonathan Winsky 05 September, 2020 23:33
Steven Finn has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match:

adelaide 06 September, 2020 00:32
One piece of news from Kevin Hand's commentary (I do not have Sky). He said that Walallawita will be able to play as a domestic player from November. Mt Hand does not always get everything right but if he has got that one right it is good news.

Earlier in the thread I posted "I'd expect a slow wicket taking some turn tomorrow, with Surrey using at least three spinners (Batty, Moriarty and Jacks). We have two, or two and a bit if you count Max Holden." I seem to have got that one right.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 06 September, 2020 08:14
We knew the batting was weak. Only two in this game. Rest all rounders or bowlers. The bowlers have been instrumental in games won. Butcher has implied that he doesn't like losing to Mx. So sombrero and poncho whirled. The other Sky team is Penchester United.

Deckchair 06 September, 2020 09:30
A poor side playing poorly and being poorly led and managed. Result no surprise.

adelaide 06 September, 2020 10:29
Quote:
Deckchair
A poor side playing poorly and being poorly led and managed. Result no surprise.

Though another poor side playing poorly and being poorly led and managed won. OK, not poorly led but were we poorly led by Finn last night or did he do OK with the very limited resources (particularly batting) available?

Adelaide

VincentVanDerVictory 06 September, 2020 11:44
Deckchair Middlesex are not a ' poor side' i

In red ball the bowling is good although the batting definitely needs considerable improving

and ln T20 the bowling. is good with Sowter .and Helm both very good, Finny on form now Hollman looks good a great prospect. and.missing the injured TRI as a 5th bowler

The problem is the weak batting. for T20 this season no longer having from the previous season power hitters Malan Stirling AB and Morgan.

Eski and Holden have played surprisingly very well at times and are carrying the side in batting and the team needs 3 other new effective batsmen.

The fielding and catching is now excellent so SL.and the coaches are doing something right at least

Finn has captained well generally but in winning the toss he should elect to bowl first.as with Middlesex batting first if Eski and Holden fail the team are incapable of setting a commanding total but still perhaps could chase a modest total so bowling first gives Middlesex more chance of victory with our line up.

AF has been in charge for over 10 years far ,far too long and the last 4 seasons including this one have been very disappointing.More than time for s fresh new Director of Cricket !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 11:50 by VincentVanDerVictory.

Deckchair 06 September, 2020 16:32
We currently lie 8th in Division Two of the County Championship with only Leics and Worcs below us. That has us ranking 18th out of 20 counties and we have won just 3 games. We've won one t20 game out of four played and currently lie 3rd in the Bob Willis southern league.
The sign is on the door. Poor is as poor does.

chunkyinargyll 06 September, 2020 16:37
Quote:
Deckchair
We currently lie 8th in Division Two of the County Championship with only Leics and Worcs below us. That has us ranking 18th out of 20 counties and we have won just 3 games. We've won one t20 game out of four played and currently lie 3rd in the Bob Willis southern league.

Only 18 teams in county cricket.

adelaide 06 September, 2020 17:51
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Quote:
Deckchair

Only 18 teams in county cricket.

Deckchair must be Diane Abbott...

Adelaide

Deckchair 06 September, 2020 18:03
Do forgive my foolish error, gentlemen. The racial comment , Adelaide, is contemptuous. . And the argument un-refuted.

adelaide 06 September, 2020 18:34
Quote:
Deckchair
Do forgive my foolish error, gentlemen. The racial comment , Adelaide, is contemptuous. . And the argument un-refuted.

See this link from The Guardian.

[www.theguardian.com]

Innumerate politicians are not exactly scarce on the ground but this was exceptionally muddled, hence my reference to her. Nothing to do with the colour of her skin.

Please withdraw your insinuation.

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net