Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Middle v Essex BWT 6-9 September 2020
antryg 06 September, 2020 19:53
I won't miss Mr Hunt's commentary but worse is to come. They suggested Mr Topley will be on air tomorrow. If he is I won't be listening.

Re: Essex v Middlesex, 6-9 September
Primrose Hillbilly 07 September, 2020 08:05
Haven't watched any play yet, but bowling "hard" balls that get a response from the pitch is surprisingly hard for a spinner, given how little momentum they get from their "run up". - Not a criticism of the comment, but more an observation. A lot more "body" has to go into each delivery, and it has to come all from within!

A big old unit , as Edmonds developed into, once he put on "man muscle" and filled out, could do it. Thilan, being a lot slighter so far, may be very tired if he spends today trying to bowl as suggested. Mind you, that's part of the job, so if that's what it takes, he'd better get on with it.

It possibly sheds a bit more light on the skill of floating the ball up, that Tufnell exercised, as he was only about 9 stone even when wringing wet!

snicko 07 September, 2020 10:10
My observation was specifically related to what “works” on this particular pitch. Having watched Thilan to date it is obvious that he is not spinning the ball hard, but merely floating it into good areas or too full. The difference on the action that Harmer puts on the ball is huge and he will torment us in the second innings.
It is an area for improvement in Thilan’s game - but having been thrust into first class cricket he must do his learning on the job.
I suggest PH that you watch today’s play and then come back to me if you disagree furthe.

Old Enfield Colt 07 September, 2020 10:49
Don't panic everyone , for those following on the internet, Don Topley's on in a while winking smiley

antryg 07 September, 2020 10:57
I will stop listening as soon as he starts talking

chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2020 11:00
Let's get things in to perspective.

At least Bob Hunt has gone, so that will do for now.

Topley was actually okay in the recent T20 match.

tallliman 07 September, 2020 11:01
Whats happened to Ten Doeschate?

adelaide 07 September, 2020 11:08
Back spasm.

Counties playing us seem to have suffered a fair few injuries in the BWT. Clark for Surrey, Stevenson and Dawson for Hampshire and now this one, though I dare say he will return at some stage.

I get the point about Harmer and Walallawita but would Harmer have been able to bowl in the required manner a few matches into his career? Experience counts for an awful lot for spinners.

Adelaide

Primrose Hillbilly 07 September, 2020 11:31
Snicko,

I shall be dedicating myself to my clients in the main today, so will try to catch the action as and when I can.

As I wrote, which you possibly missed, mine was not a criticism, - more an an observation. It was to the effect that perhaps Thilan is not yet able to put a lot of revs on the ball, due to stature, some other physical characteristic or technical difference between he and Harmer. I was grateful for the good, thoughtful, technical analysis that you provided.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 11:59 by Primrose Hillbilly.

chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2020 12:15
Martin Andersson is definitely an upgrade on George Scott!

Seaxe_man1 07 September, 2020 12:30
Careful Chunky.

chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2020 12:33
Gloucestershire have been batting Scott at 8 and using him as a not particularly effective bowler (an odd wicket here and there)

Seaxe_man1 07 September, 2020 13:14
My comment not related to Scott but Andersson. Drawing attention to him not a good idea. Ears will @#$%& up and phones lifted. I think he has signed a two year deal. Wherever Scott plays at Nevil Road he's getting more cricket. Which gives a chance to improve. Similar to Josh Davey who has improved after a long stint at Taunton. Last remember him for Mx at Uxbridge in a Sunday League game. Don't forget our role as a feeder club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 13:16 by Seaxe_man1.

Seaxe_man1 07 September, 2020 13:41
238 all out. Deficit 98.

Primrose Hillbilly 07 September, 2020 19:34
Ah, well, perhaps I should have stayed where I was.

Caught 10 minutes in which poor Sam gave two chances and then obligingly steered one to Harmer in the slips. It was a merciful release, but appeared to open the floodgates.

The poor chap seems to have entirely lost his mojo. That may well be the last time we see him in a Middlesex shirt - certainly this year, if not for all time. However, professional competitive sport is .........just that, and no room for sentiment.

So,next man up and if they're good enough, they're old enough.

chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2020 19:37
Well, they'd have to pay Sam off.

The contracts thread confirms signed until October 2022.

Re: Middle v Essex BWT 6-9 September 2020
Jonathan Winsky 07 September, 2020 19:58
A first innings deficit of 98 is probably smaller than what Middlesex had feared and Essex had hoped for when we were all out for 138. We managed to win our previous Bob Willis Trophy match v Sussex at Radlett after conceding a deficit of 90 (albeit batting last), so we will have to see if we can win this match. Of course, a lot of responsibility will have to go to our bowlers, as not only will they have to take 10 wickets, but the fact that our batsmen have made few innings of note in this match means that our bowlers will also have to get our overnight lead from 25 to something we can defend.

I have seen some criticism on social media about our decision to bat after winning the toss, as a total of 138 would have made the decision appear foolish in ordinary circumstances, while the fact that we had played a Twenty20 match 30 miles away the evening before the match started makes the decision appear even more questionable. I guess that a lot of the rationale was that we didn’t want to bat last against Simon Harmer and co, so batting first therefore enabled us to be the team who would be in line to get an opportunity to bowl in the fourth innings. However, bowling last is barely an advantage if we don’t have many runs to defend.

I am glad that Martin Andersson took four wickets in Essex’s first innings. Hopefully, the coming seasons will see him make many more great contributions for Middlesex.

Well done to Max Holden on passing 2,000 first-class runs.

As Aaron Beard proved, it is often the way that players who don’t take many wickets in the first innings can take a few wickets in the second innings, so hopefully that will happen with Thilan Walallawita.

I would like to think that there is no desire on the part of Sam Robson or the club for him to part ways this winter, not least because he is in sight of 10,000 first-class career runs and then 10,000 first-class runs for Middlesex, which were two landmarks which he would have had a chance of achieving this season had his form and public health been better. Dawid Malan's departure came with him 113 runs shy of becoming the first player since, I think, Owais Shah to pass 10,000 first-class runs for Middlesex. CricketArchive currently records Robbo as having scored 9,959 first-class career runs, with 9,029 coming for Middlesex, although I am not sure whether it includes all of his runs in this match.

chunkyinargyll 07 September, 2020 21:21
Looks like there wasn't a close of play interview- otherwise it would have been up by now.

Don't know if that means there was a naughty boys meeting, so no-one was put up for interview, but half the team are young and inexperienced, whilst Essex appear to be at full, or very nearly full strength, so we were always going to be the underdogs in this encounter.

wembleylion 07 September, 2020 22:51
Not sure it's the young and inexperienced ones we need to worry about.

adelaide 07 September, 2020 22:58
Unfortunately our batting is both young and inexperienced and at full strength, disregarding Handscomb. Tom Lace would have had a season's worth of experience and George Scott rather less but it would still have been a lightweight line-up.

Many counties appear to have regarded the BWT as an opportunity to look at even more young players than assorted absences forced them to. Essex have not really done that and as they are a strong all round team it is not really a surprise that we are struggling.

One question - will Sam Robson still be top of the BWT bowling averages this time tomorrow?

Adelaide

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net