Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Essex v Middlesex, 6-9 September
Primrose Hillbilly 08 September, 2020 07:44
Chunky,

you don't have to buy a player out of their contract. Ref : Compton, of recent years. You just accept the "loss" due to not getting any return on his salary, and move on. - Sam gets the choice of playing in the Seconds or just accepting he won't be doing much next year. Given that he doesn't feature in first team white ball, this appears a manageable situation.

Or, he becomes our ball turning leg spinner with some batting ability in a late career change of direction, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sam is not performing as an opener, and yesterday was painful to watch, especially when compared to Holden at the other end. I'd say it creates the opportunity to give some of our younger players a go, to give them all hope and reason to stay, and who knows, one of them might come off and establish themselves. We've done so with White and now Cullen, why not with a top of the order batsman?

The one concern I have about this not happening is his Aussie background, which seems to count for something with the Lawman. That is the only reason I can think of for Sowter's unaccountable longevity in the red ball team until recently.

chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2020 08:19
Max had his fair share of near misses yesterday, but luck was on his side and he managed to battle to 37, but I don't think it's a pitch where anyone feels totally in'.

Fairly certain Sam averaged about 35 last year, which is certainly 'acceptable'. This year the sample size is rather small.

I must admit I find it frustrating. He always looks like he has been got out by a good ball (rather than someone looking woefully out of touch) but maybe misjudgements just make the deliveries that get him out look better than they really are.

Seaxe_man1 08 September, 2020 08:32
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Let's get things in to perspective.
At least Bob Hunt has gone, so that will do for now.

Topley was actually okay in the recent T20 match.
we got K. Hand instead. As usual waffling on about anything other than the cricket. Yesterday it was. Was Legend Mike Selvey hiding in the bushes watching the game. Interesting.

Seaxe_man1 08 September, 2020 08:38
Hope I am wrong. But it looks as though Mx have seen the best of Sam Robson.

chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2020 08:41
I thought he said it was the father of one of the players, S_M

Kevin Hand has improved considerably. There was a time when the slightest little thing would have him laughing uncontrollably for a minute or more. That seems to be a thing of the past, so I assume he took constructive criticism on board. I actually think KH is quite good. If you are going to listen to someone all day you want that person to be optimistic and upbeat, rather than dull and monotone.

I get the impression Kevin Howells is their boss, who turns up every so often to observe and write their appraisal.

Seaxe_man1 08 September, 2020 08:53
Didn't listen for long chunky so may have misheard. Definitely Mike legend Selvey mentioned. Either way, whoever, it was not about the game in progress. Switched off as could follow game on my phone. BBC Sport pretty good on BWT and T20 updates.

tallliman 08 September, 2020 10:57
8 down, 35 ahead. Good luck to Essex in the final (until Wallallawita hits a maiden ton.....)

Seaxe_man1 08 September, 2020 11:36
52 to win. Top four red ball. Holden looks the pick. Handscomb replaces the departed Lace presumably. So gives us five. Beyond that. Have to hope the all-rounders batting improves very considerably to back up the thin red line of batters. Gone downhill since Chris Rogers departed.

chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2020 14:35
Interview with Stephen Eskinazi-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

I'm not sure if he lets something slip at 1:15 when almost in passing he says 'some additions next year' which would be Handscomb (definitely) plus, presumably a second overseas as we are entitled (that will be Cummins as kolpaks are no longer) , then maybe one other from another county.

A couple of astute acquisitions and we would be competitive (but that would shut down opportunities for youngsters, who by and large have done okay this year- can't have it both ways, I suppose).

It might be that enquiries are taking place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 14:40 by chunkyinargyll.

Deckchair 08 September, 2020 14:48
On the brighter side, we can only get better.

MB 08 September, 2020 16:01
Not the first time we ve said that in the last 3 years

adelaide 08 September, 2020 16:09
Of course things could get worse!

I am not suggesting that it has been good but this was the first match this season in which we were nowhere near competitive. You could argue the point about the T20 at The Oval but a few overs into Surrey's reply it wasn't looking that shabby.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 08 September, 2020 16:11
The batting is the main problem. One possibly going back, two haven't gone on as hoped. Stating the b.obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 16:14 by Seaxe_man1.

chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2020 16:20
Winning 2 out of 5 BWT matches is hardly a disaster and a number of young players have made significant advances- White, Andersson, Walallawita, Hollman and Cullen have all done enough that I don't want to restrict their first team opportunities next year, but until they have more games under their belts they will have some good days and some less good days.

Handscomb plus another batsman (who must be capable of playing T20 as well) would probably turn things around. An extra 100 runs in the first innings would solve our problems.

It could be a buyers market this winter, as Covid may force counties to cut their wage bills by losing people they would otherwise have wanted to keep.

Re: Middle v Essex BWT 6-9 September 2020
Jonathan Winsky 08 September, 2020 20:11
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky yesterday
our bowlers will also have to get our overnight lead from 25 to something we can defend.

it is often the way that players who don’t take many wickets in the first innings can take a few wickets in the second innings, so hopefully that will happen with Thilan Walallawita

I would have liked Middlesex to have extended their lead to a figure greater than 52 and to have had cause to bowl Thilan Walallawita!

When the format for the Bob Willis Trophy was announced, I felt certain that by the last couple of rounds of group matches, some teams would find that their chances of reaching the final had long disappeared, and I was worried that Middlesex would be such a team. Therefore, it feels like an achievement that we entered our final group match in contention to progress. There are plenty of more shameful things than losing to a side who have had as much first-class success as Essex have had in recent years, especially as Essex are - ironically - one of the lesser-affected sides by player unavailability. There should be a degree of confidence that we can have a satisfactory first-class season in 2021, although the interview Stevie Eskinazi gave suggests that it is uncertain what the structure will be, meaning that our objective could be to win promotion from a two-division structure, or to finish high in a conference structure.

It seems cruel that two things to happen in this match was that it brought me (and I think a few other people) in mind of our County Championship match v Kent at Lord’s in 2011, and that this match has seen speculation that Sam Robson’s time at Middlesex is drawing to a close, as I remember Robbo was not seen as an established player in our side at the time (although he entered that match with 17 first-class matches under his belt, it was only his 2nd Championship match of the season), but he made 40 out of 153 in the first innings and guided us to our second innings target of 168 by scoring 94 not out, and during a mid-season forum after day two of the match, I remember Angus Fraser definitively saying that Robbo would play the next match. So, that was a high point in Robbo’s career. I suppose that speculation about Robbo’s future has caused his career to flash before my eyes.

A look at our competition averages on Cricinfo backs up those who have said that our experienced players are more of a cause for concern than our youngsters, as Nick Gubbins, Tim Murtagh, Miguel Cummins and maybe John Simpson were about the only established players who can look back on their performances in this competition with pride. I would like to think that Martin Andersson’s 227 runs @ 28.37 (he was the only player other than Gubbo to pass 50 twice) and 14 wickets at 17.85 proves why I didn’t feel too sad that George Scott left in the winter to create an opportunity for Andersson to feature extensively. Eski did not pass 29 during this competition, and said that he cannot explain either why he did not perform well or why he has done better in the T20 Blast.

Another interesting thing Eski said was when he described batting first the morning after the night before as “the lesser of two evils” due to it meaning that we would not have to bat last.

[edited to correct grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 23:10 by Jonathan Winsky.

chunkyinargyll 08 September, 2020 21:05
Thanks for the link to the averages, Jonathan.

I managed to navigate my way to the Gloucestershire averages for BWT.

The only ones we are interested in are-

Ryan Higgins- 5 matches, 173 runs HS 51 average 24.71
George Scott- 4 matches, 87 runs, HS 44* average 21.75
Tom Lace- 3 matches, 73 runs, HS 42 average 18.25

Higgins 17 wickets, average 23
Scott 3 wickets, average 43

Higgins bowling might have been useful for us, but otherwise the Funboy Three haven't exactly set the world alight in the BWT.

(Sm71)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 21:07 by chunkyinargyll.

Seaxe_man1 09 September, 2020 08:36
To be fair neither have we. Still trying to prove a point chunky. Check Podmore's figures as well to give balance. You can't expect to progress heaving your academy players out of the door followed by inane remarks to justify in some cases.

chunkyinargyll 09 September, 2020 08:51
If Lace had produced an average of 18.25 for us I'm sure it would have been down to our bad coaching.

Their best batsman just averaging 30 this season.

Bad coaching? Poor pitches? Players not good enough?

Whatever the reason, people who reckon this is the worst Middlesex side ever (played 5 won 2 drawn 1 lost 2 suggests 'average) would have run out of adjectives if we had no-one above 30.

[stats.espncricinfo.com]

No idea of Gloucestershire fans reckon their team is the worst ever- but probably not.

Seaxe_man1 09 September, 2020 09:21
I think Kent may be a better guide. We drew with them. I am pretty sure that Downton reckons Podmore a good signing. Our then coaching staff barely gave him a look.

R Simmons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 09:23 by Seaxe_man1.

VincentVanDerVictory 09 September, 2020 10:39
Chunky without Murtagh we may struggle to bowl teams out. Murtagh has been the main reason for us winning matches.

As for the appalling Middkesex batting yes in the 43 years of supporting Middlesex this is easily the worst Middlesex batting line up.

Your transparent bias/ agenda Chunky is revealed when you laughably write that Higgins 17 wickets at average of 23 ' might ' have been useful for Middlesex. MIGHT? Chunky ??..Really 🤪

Higgins has been less impressive than usual with the bat this year but he has consistently been.scoring many runs and taking many wickets for 3 seasons now for Gloucestershire; there is no denying that he is a very effective allrounder .

Lace had a very good season for Derbyshire last year scoring significant runs.he may well outscore the likes of Robson ,Eski and Co in the years to come Time will tell.

No one is bemoaning the loss of George Scott

Seaxe is absolutely spot on about Podmore and I also add that Josh Davey is again having another superb season for Somerset taking lots and lots of wickets very very economically .

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net