Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Essex v Middlesex, 6-9 September
Jonathan Winsky 10 September, 2020 20:51
Although Tom Lace has an agent, I wonder if his move to Gloucestershire was engineered by his father Garry, who has been a controversial figure in the marketing industry. From what I have read about Garry (mainly on websites which disappear behind a paywall after the first article read), he sounds like one of those parents of sportspeople who would urge their child to get the most out of their career as possible.

Martin Andersson has spoken to ECB Reporters Network about various things.

chunkyinargyll 10 September, 2020 21:19
Jonathan- You cause me a dilemma.

I reckon it's legitimate to discuss Tom Lace, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate to discuss his dad.

That said, to some extent he could be considered to be a public figure, as it wasn't difficult to find online articles dating back to 2002.

I guess anyone who wants to know more can google 'Garry Lace' and we'd better leave it at that.

adelaide 10 September, 2020 23:10
Quote:
snicko
Phil Weston - TLA Cricket. (Ex. Derbyshire/ Gloucs / Worcestershire opening bat).
Interesting to note that Messrs Sowter and Eskinazi are also part of his stable, as well as Mr Higgins . Looking at the complete list of players represented by this agency shows that about half of them have moved counties in the last couple of years.

Also brother of former Middlesex opener. Perhaps he is suffering from seaxe envy because he never got the chance to play for the Middle.

Adelaide

dnb 11 September, 2020 08:09
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Those that left pre Stuart Law, did so, because the then coaches didn't rate them. Their progress since suggests poor judgement. Can you not accept that chunky. As it is, it has left Middlesex poorer for it. The backlash to those events led to the agent for Lace entering the release clause which was agreed by the Middlesex contract negotiators. He, the agent, then insisted on that clause being triggered. Embarrassing all round.

Agreed. In the case of Lace, Middlesex must have known there was a strong possibility of him leaving when he was not selected for the first two games of a five game red ball season. Perhaps they were ok with him leaving...time will tell if it was a mistake or not. It will be a mistake if he reproduces his form of last season with Derbyshire (average just over 40).

Bring back the Crusaders 11 September, 2020 23:45
Its a sad situation when Sussex have bowled more extras than our captain has made runs in the Bob Willis Trophy

adelaide 12 September, 2020 13:31
Quote:
dnb
Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Those that left pre Stuart Law, did so, because the then coaches didn't rate them. Their progress since suggests poor judgement. Can you not accept that chunky. As it is, it has left Middlesex poorer for it. The backlash to those events led to the agent for Lace entering the release clause which was agreed by the Middlesex contract negotiators. He, the agent, then insisted on that clause being triggered. Embarrassing all round.

Agreed. In the case of Lace, Middlesex must have known there was a strong possibility of him leaving when he was not selected for the first two games of a five game red ball season. Perhaps they were ok with him leaving...time will tell if it was a mistake or not. It will be a mistake if he reproduces his form of last season with Derbyshire (average just over 40).

So, is it being suggested that the team should (in the opinion of the selectors) be weakened by including a player who has an "I'm off then" clause in his contract?

We may think that the opinion of the selectors was misguided but that is another matter.

Adelaide

Seaxe_man1 12 September, 2020 15:24
I believe Adelaide that the. Selectors were unaware of the release clause.

chunkyinargyll 12 September, 2020 17:08
Even if that's true, it shouldn't have affected team selection, otherwise you have young Mr Lace picking the side.

freddie tittlemouse 12 September, 2020 17:34
I've said it before and I repeat. Not giving Lace an opportunity in the first 2 games beggars belief, more so as Eskinazi in the championship simply carried on where he left off last season.

dnb 12 September, 2020 18:36
Adelaide, I was not suggesting what you are saying. If there were special conditions in Lace’s contract relating to selection then you would expect that Middlesex would ensure that those involved in selection decisions were aware of the situation. I would expect both Middlesex and the player to respect the contact that had been signed. I would not expect either party to act in a way such that the contract was terminated in a matter of months. Middlesex should examine the “lessons learnt” from this episode and try to prevent recurrence.

adelaide 13 September, 2020 01:38
Dnb - I'm not sure why the selectors would have to be informed of the contract situation unless it was expected to influence selection considerations.

It all gets pretty murky. If Lace (or his agent) said he wouldn't sign without the clause, Middlesex may have said OK, fully expecting him to get games this year. Covid reduced the number of opportunities but I very much doubt even then that Middlesex anticipated the player (or his agent) invoking the clause after his not being selected for just one match (I think the die was cast before the second match).

One point about Lace's attitude. However it materialised, he had a firm offer on the table. If he had left it until the end of the season, the impact of Covid on county finances might have meant that there would have been no other external offers. He might have thought that he had to go for it then rather than risk remaining at a county which might or might not pick him.

Adelaide

dnb 13 September, 2020 07:48
Adelaide, I am not aware of the contract but it would depend on what the clause said. Obviously if it said something simple like “Lace must play in the first 3 red ball games in 2020” then I would expect the selectors to be advised of this and to select him. Whatever the clause said, Middlesex did not hold him to the contract when he decided to leave after not being selected for the first two games.

Fully agree with your final paragraph...COVID probably made it far more likely that he was going to trigger things quickly both because of the financial uncertainty and the reduced games.

Seaxe_man1 14 September, 2020 09:42
It is rumoured the clause said, had to play in a minimum of ten games. Presumably that meant out of fourteen which became less in BWT. So missing the first two meant The agent considered that the release clause was triggered. I assume this was withheld from selectors for obvious reasons. Plus as said by Adelaide, moving looked a better bet now, than later, with his agent collecting from Glaws.

dnb 14 September, 2020 18:12
SM...thanks for sharing...sounds plausible.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net