Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

T20 v Sussex 18/9/20
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 17 September, 2020 15:34
T20 v Sussex 18/9/20
chunkyinargyll 17 September, 2020 15:34
The good news going in to this match is if we win this game and the last game against Hampshire on Sunday then we will qualify for the quarter-finals.

That would get us third place (at least) in our group, with 12 points, and the best Durham or Leicestershire can get is third place and 11 points in the north group.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2020 06:45 by BarmierKev.

Re: T20 v Sussex 18/9/20
Seaxe_man1 17 September, 2020 18:10
Correct chunky. On the spin front, usually a block for The Middle. Will Beer had a decent game last night but Briggs did not . De Weiss was the stumbling block last time and Luke Wright a danger plus Ollie Robinson. Will be hard work to win.

Jonathan Winsky 17 September, 2020 18:29
It will be interesting to see whether Middlesex play four fast bowlers and two spinners like we did yesterday v Kent at Canterbury. Although we won that match, I am not a fan of the idea of us balancing the side in this way, as it weakens our batting, and I feel that five main bowlers ought to be enough.

I felt that there was a chance that we would have to make provisions for the possibility of Eoin Morgan being available for the latter part of our campaign, although my experience meant that I was fully aware that this was a remote prospect.

Sussex have named a 15-man squad for this match consisting of Luke Wright (C), Will Beer, Ravi Bopara, Danny Briggs, Ben Brown, Jack Carson, Mitch Claydon, George Garton, Calum MacLeod, Stuart Meaker, Delray Rawlins, Ollie Robinson, Phil Salt, Aaron Thomason and David Wiese. Considering we will be without Morgan due to his IPL commitments, it is a consolation that Sussex will be unable to call upon Chris Jordan or Jofra Archer for the same reason. They will also be without Tymal Mills due to a sore back.

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 12:54
Correction. Sussex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2020 12:57 by Seaxe_man1.

wembleylion 18 September, 2020 13:12
Terrible camera work, finding this difficult to watch.

frustrated of frome 18 September, 2020 14:52
That’s not all that’s making this difficult to watch!

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2020 15:58
Oh well-

Our season will end on Sunday.

Luke Hollman with 35 and 4-0-18-3 looks like he could easily become a Middlesex regular for the next 15 years.

Or should that be Gloucestershire.

(Sm159)

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 16:14
Don't temp fate chunky. We are a couple of white ball players away from a half decent side...guess where they are..

Seaxe_man1 18 September, 2020 16:17
The short ball first of over 19 was a game changer. Momentum. Spinners of both sides did a job.

chunkyinargyll 18 September, 2020 16:41
By the way, another one who might come in to the all rounder category, or at any rate very handy lower order bat is Blake Cullen.

70 not out today, saving the South from complete ignominy v North in a Young Lions match.

[live.nvplay.com]

Jonathan Winsky 18 September, 2020 19:03
From my occasional checks at the latest score, this seemed to be a topsy-turvy match, so it is difficult to know whether or not I should be happy with how it went. When a Middlesex side containing one fewer batsman than I would have liked was 81-5 after 12 overs, a score of 155-8 was higher and a lot more respectable than I felt was likely. When Sussex reached 60-0 after 5 overs to get their rate required down to little more than a run a ball, I feared that we would lose with many overs to spare and that some of our six bowlers would end up bowling some way short of 4 overs, which means that I was glad that we were able to take it down to the final over. However, as we ultimately lost the match, I cannot be particularly happy with how the match went.

A lot of the credit for us reaching what turned out to a competitive total and for us then taking the match to the final over has to go to Luke Hollman, although arguably his greatest achievement in this match was winning the official Man of the Match award despite finishing on the losing side against a team who had, in George Garton, a player who also made important contributions with both bat and ball. Then again, if it wasn’t for Hollman, there wouldn’t have been runs for Garton to be obliged to score.

It bodes well for the future that Joe Cracknell also made another good contribution, while it was also great to see John Simpson once again scoring runs and Nathan Sowter and Tim Murtagh once again producing decent economies. I can have no complaints about Sowter’s performance, apart from the fact that he was out first ball after coming in at number 9 to end the sequence whereby numbers 1, 3, 5 and 7 in the order made good contributions, with the even-numbered players in the order not doing quite as well. Maybe Murtagh should have been given an opportunity to bat and play his agricultural shots, and/or maybe he should have bowled a fourth over at some point.

Once again, our Twenty20 campaign has filled me with some moments of joy, yet nonetheless resulted in us not quite reaching the quarter-finals. Maybe we will do better next year if circumstances enable us to do any combination of signing some overseas players, seeing some of Eoin Morgan, and - probably less realistic - holding off Gloucestershire’s hopes of signing our talented players. However, a lot of my hopes centre around the quest to get coronavirus under control, otherwise I may have to rein in my hopes of attending a lot of cricket in 2021 or of Middlesex being free to fly overseas players into the country.

Steven Finn has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

adelaide 18 September, 2020 20:46
Let's just say I was surprised to see James Harris selected, even more surprised to see him batting (without much success) at No 4 but not that surprised to see his one over going for sixteen. To be fair I did not see said over and sometimes an OK over just gets collared (or edged) into looking like a really bad one. I've not got it in for him but I just don't see him as a T20 player. Nor have Middlesex in seasons past, by and large.

Given the weakness of this year's batting line up compared with last, I'd say the team has done better than I had expected. Joe Cracknell looks like the real T20 deal and Luke Hollman has got better and better. I guess we will have to wait to find out if they are red ball players too.

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll 19 September, 2020 06:40
I've said this before, but I used to have an apple tree like James Harris.

Bumper harvest one year, followed by next to nothing the following year.

Write him off at your peril.

I guess it proves how very small the margin is at top level between being extremely effective, or a pie chucker.

I know some people say Nick Gubbins game isn't best suited to T20, but even a few 20's would have been the difference between winning or losing some of these games.

No point playing six front line bowlers. By definition they aren't going to bowl their full quota.

Felt a bit like a 'there's no-one else available' selection.

Seaxe_man1 19 September, 2020 07:54
Murts and James Harris selected for the reason you gave in your last sentence chunky. As Adelaide said, with the batting we have, did better than expected. Best win. The one at Canterbury. Bonus. The use of and emergence of Cracknell, Davies, Cullen, Hollman and Robbie White in BWT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net