Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
T20 v Hampshire 20/9/20
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 19 September, 2020 14:14
T20 v Hampshire 20/9/20
chunkyinargyll 19 September, 2020 14:14
Same squad for the last match of the season-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2020 10:46 by BarmierKev.

Re: T20 v Hampshire 20/9/20
Jonathan Winsky 19 September, 2020 17:45
It would be great if Middlesex can end their Twenty20 campaign and indeed season on a winning note in this match. Although it would be of little consolation to those who had hopes of us reaching the quarter-finals, our campaign would seem more respectable if we can finish with a fourth group stage win and with a points tally in double-figures compared to if we lose and therefore risk finishing second-bottom in the group.

If James Harris plays, hopefully he will bowl some economical overs, as the 10 overs he has bowled in this campaign so far have seen him concede 16, 15, 14, 4, 15, 9, 18, 11, 13 and 16 runs respectively.

Hampshire have named a 15-man squad for this match consisting of James Vince (14) Captain, Brad Wheal (58), Tom Alsop (9), Ian Holland (22), James Fuller (26), George Munsey (21), Sam Northeast (17), Felix Organ (3), Calvin Harrison (--), Ajeet Dale (39), Joe Weatherley (5), Mason Crane (32), Ryan Stevenson (47), Chris Wood (25) and Shaheen Afridi (40).

It feels strange for the season to end less than two months after it started and without me or anyone getting to attend a match.

Seaxe_man1 19 September, 2020 19:58
Be nice to finish with a win.

chunkyinargyll 20 September, 2020 09:10
T20 averages going in to final match (should update with final figures shortly after game concludes)

[stats.espncricinfo.com]

Reminder it's a 1 pm kick-off.

rod/ed 20 September, 2020 10:01
Hope Max finishes as he started with a ton, but has looked out of touch recently.
Finn,Helm,Rabbit,Hollman definite for me. Miggy or Murts as fifth with Andersson as back up.
Sorry can't see Harry getting another go, but being a great team man not enough just now

freddie tittlemouse 20 September, 2020 11:36
Why not play 3 spinners?

rod/ed 20 September, 2020 11:46
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Why not play 3 spinners?
Why not indeed.
Look at the wicket and perhaps size if boundaries too

Jonathan Winsky 20 September, 2020 12:51
I didn’t see there as being much chance of Middlesex selecting all three spinners in our squad or of Max Holden losing his place after starting this campaign with a century, but both suggestions have been adopted (although if Holden’s absence is due to injury, then it would not technically be the adoption of a suggestion).

It is great to see that Jack Davies has returned to the side and that Thilan Walallawita is making his Twenty20 debut. Despite the changes, we still have six main bowlers.

Having batted first in 8 of our previous 9 matches in this campaign, it makes a change that today will see us bowling first.

Jonathan Winsky 20 September, 2020 14:17
I am happy about Middlesex leaving themselves a target of 142, although we will have to see whether our inexperienced batting line-up can overhaul it.

Well done to our spin trio on recording combined figures of 12-0-74-8. The only downside was that it meant that Tim Murtagh found himself, for the second match running, in the position of having good bowling figures yet denied a fourth over.

Jonathan Winsky 20 September, 2020 14:49
It seems like a strange decision for Nathan Sowter to come in at number 4 in Middlesex’s batting order after James Harris has come in up the order on two occasions in this campaign. I imagine the rationale is that it should delay the point when all of our designated batsmen are out, although we will have to see whether it will work.

Felix Organ’s three successful overs at the start of our innings was a blow to both our chances of winning and to the chances of there being overs for James Fuller to bowl.

chunkyinargyll 20 September, 2020 15:50
From the moment Simpson was out, with Finn at 9, Walallawita at 10 and Murtagh at 11 there was a certain inevitability about what was going to happen.

4 wickets in 4 balls.

Seaxe_man1 20 September, 2020 15:54
Sowter,'s 8 JW was one of our better scores In the first ten overs too many dot balls caused wickets to fall. The old problem of not finding gaps and turning the strike over reappeared. Credit Simmo playing a lone hand. Playing three spinners and 8 wickets worked. Making up for a barren spin desert for a decade.

chunkyinargyll 20 September, 2020 16:01
John Simpson had three scores of 46 in this years T20, as well as today's 48 and another 48 in the BWT, without getting pat 48 all 'season'.

Martin Andersson seemed to run out of steam after his impressive form in the BWT. Maybe a better 4 day player, as he doesn't seem to have strength or uncoventionality to know how to construct a T20 innings.

James Harris lack of success in T20 over many years surprised me.

We played far too many bowlers and not enough batsmen to expect to come out on top in this game.

Jonathan Winsky 20 September, 2020 16:02
When Middlesex were 55-5 after 11 overs, I remarked to my dad that we needed a miracle to win. When John Simpson then went well with support from Luke Hollman and Tom Helm, my dad reminded me that I had earlier said that we needed a miracle, although I still believed that we had a lot of work to do due to the lack of wickets remaining. Sure enough, once the wickets fell, the match could barely have concluded any quicker considering Shaheen Shah Afridi wrapped things up with four wickets in as many balls.

Afridi has been named as the official Man of the Match, but I wouldn’t say that our inability to win this match was due to our performance against him, as we could have done with getting our innings off to a better start. As we spent most of our innings behind the rate required and with wickets remaining running out, we found ourselves up against it long before he took those late wickets.

Jonathan Winsky 20 September, 2020 17:19
Stuart Law has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match:

Deckchair 20 September, 2020 18:09
Poor end to a poor season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 18:10 by Deckchair.

VincentVanDerVictory 20 September, 2020 21:38
A season of relative disappointment tinged though with some green.shoots of recovery in the form and performances of Andersson Robbie White in red ball and Hollman ,Cracknell in T20 along with Walla in both formats.anf the promise and potential of Cullen.

My joint players of the season would be John Simpson and Tim Murtagh.

Glad this truncated season has finished though for Middlesex with the batting frustratingly inept on several occasions.

Looking ahead I trust that Middlesex will indeed recruit 2 new ( overseas) batsmen next season as SL intimated in his interview

Bring back the Crusaders 20 September, 2020 23:17
A disappointing end to a disappointing season.
Nothing changes!

chunkyinargyll 21 September, 2020 07:38
Disappointed some think this was a disappointing season.

Any season that sees so many youngsters successfully blooded is not disappointing.

They will get better, and one or two experienced recruits to show them the way and all will be well.

Deckchair 21 September, 2020 09:37
I see Ryan Higgins enjoyed his season. Average of 59.88 and 4 centuries and 3 half centuries. And that fellow Tom Lace, average of 43.33 and 3 centuries.
Never mind at least Paul Stirling and David Malan are waving the flag for Middlesex batting at numbers 11 and 14 in the league two averages.
What? No. Really?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net