Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

End of season forum
Discussion started by BarmierKev , 01 October, 2020 11:08
End of season forum
BarmierKev 01 October, 2020 11:08
[www.middlesexccc.com]

Friday 9th October is date of end of season forum. Sadly, this somewhat different to previous years and not in person. I will miss the party afterwards.

Putting this to one side , would anyone like to share what is one your mind that is relevant to the forum? Feel free to use this forum to express your views.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 11:10 by BarmierKev.

Re: End of season forum
Jonathan Winsky 01 October, 2020 19:57
I imagine that one of the issues which members would like to be discussed will be how Middlesex and indeed English cricket would be affected if the situation with coronavirus next summer is either little better or worse than it was in 2020. As long as the virus doesn’t get as far out of control as it was earlier this year, I feel confident that there will be a full county season in 2021. However, it remains to be seen whether spectators will be permitted at matches, so this doubt (as well as the fact that millions of people could have less disposable income) means that counties’ abilities to sell memberships is compromised and that I am not sure if counties will put tickets for Twenty20 matches on sale until they feel certain that they can admit spectators. It would also be a big blow for the financial health of English cricket if England’s Test series at home to India cannot be played in front of capacity attendances.

Events over the last few weeks have come as a big blow for those who had hopes that life will be back (or nearly back) to normal come next summer. The fact that this month will not see the planned return of spectators to elite sporting events means that instead of it being the case come April 2021 that the sports industry will have had six months of experience of accommodating spectators in a Covid-secure manner, the wait for grounds to be allowed to admit spectators may instead still be ongoing. A group of scientists said today that life is unlikely to be back to normal by next spring even with a vaccine, so I dread to think what would happen if no vaccine is available by then. I firmly believe that most county headquarter grounds can accommodate spectators for County Championship and Royal London Cup matches without having to overstretch themselves in order to ensure that social distancing is achieved, but we will have to see whether the government agree.

Hopefully, there will also be discussion about what was discussed at the focus group on the subject of how people who held a membership for the 2020 season can be rewarded.

Maybe there will be discussion about whether we will break our habit by making a signing from another county.

Maybe there will be discussion about whether the expectation is that the County Championship will be played with two divisions or with a conference structure.

chunkyinargyll 09 October, 2020 15:02
I know we mustn't comment on anything specific, but over all it was a very thought provoking and educational 48 minutes.

Make sure you find the time to watch it.

rod/ed 09 October, 2020 18:50
Not sure I learnt much from the forum. Perhaps that meant we'd been kept well informed throughout the 'season'.

Jonathan Winsky 09 October, 2020 20:37
Little hint was given about what was discussed at the 22nd September focus group about how members for 2020 could be rewarded, although it seems that a communication about proposed rewards will be sent shortly. Although I probably should have anticipated this, it took me by surprise to hear that fewer people than usual had renewed or become a member ahead of the 2020 season, something which dramatically hit Middlesex’s revenues. I imagine that those who held a membership for 2020 would prefer it if the rewards are exclusive to those who held a membership for 2020 rather than open to anyone who will hold a membership for 2021.

As well as a reduction in revenue from membership, two other areas which severely dented our finances were income from gate receipts and from sponsorship. I suppose that shows how important it was that England were able to play all of the men’s internationals they were scheduled to play, otherwise the financial health of English cricket would be in an even more precarious position.

There was a suggestion that we could make some signings from other counties, although there was also an acknowledgement that this would be likely to result in a reduction in opportunities for players already at the club, something which would be bad news for our youngsters.

Nothing was said about whether the County Championship will be played with divisions or conferences in 2021, although I am sure that all will be revealed soon considering next season’s fixtures will hopefully be released in the next few weeks.

Hopefully, there will be little or no restrictions on supporters’ abilities to attend matches. If calls to allow people to attend professional football matches come to fruition (a petition on this subject may well have passed 200,000 signatures by the time people read this post), then the benefits of that would be highly likely to extend to cricket.

Members will not only be informed about proposed rewards for those who had become a member for 2020, but they will also be informed about proposals about how to increase diversity at the club, which I imagine will be in regards to our squad and our board.

BeefyRoberts 11 October, 2020 11:51
I thought the forum was well done, covered most topics.
Good to see SL speak highly of the younger players who played in the truncated BWT, and doing so well.
And, hearing about all connected to our club taking pay cuts to help our club ( if I'm wrong, apologise for in-accurate info!), I'm hoping members also do same concerning membership refunds.
As said, we wait to see what the club are to announce regarding the membership for this year. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome, but that is expected.

Anyway, Winter well everyone and stay safe in these times that nobody even thought about this time last year, and has hit each and everyone of us in some way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net