Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Covid 'has cost county cricket 75 million'
Discussion started by chunkyinargyll , 12 October, 2020 10:13
Covid 'has cost county cricket 75 million'
chunkyinargyll 12 October, 2020 10:13
[www.thecricketer.com]

A frighteningly large sum.

For some reason Surrey (30 million) and Lancashire (20 million) appear to be responsible for 50 million between them, so I'm not sure how reliable these figures are, or how they're arrived at (Lanky and Surrey didn't furlough their players, but even so, their figures are way above everyone else)

I got the impression from the forum (still not sure what we can say) that our losses are nothing like that- so the other 25 million would be spread between the other 16 counties, which, would be about 1.5 million each for everyone else. Sussex, I think, have said 3 million. I got the impression we were 'only' 2 million, but I suppose that is down to no refunds and understanding we need to keep the deficit as low as possible.

Re: Covid 'has cost county cricket 75 million'
BeefyRoberts 12 October, 2020 11:17
Saw same article.

Nobody, at this time last year, saw this damn virus was even 'around'.
£75m is a frightening figure, maybe, just maybe, if the complete clowns at ecb hadnt started the hundred rubbish, this figure wouldnt of been anywhere near what is quoted.
That money wasted on the hundred@#$%&will never be returned, and, that could of been used to save our great County game.
I noticed 2 counties, those who didnt take the furlough route, are saying they lost the biggest amounts, well, does that surprise me? Not one bit!
This is, indeed , a worrying time for our great County game.
Maybe if those total fools at ecb took their heads out of the sand, saw all the comments against the franchise CC they are hell bent in setting up and realised they are putting £mm through a shredder we wouldnt be in this mess.
Yes, the damn virus has now contributed to what is going on, I lay the blame at the doors of ecb and the franchise mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 11:20 by BeefyRoberts.

chunkyinargyll 12 October, 2020 12:48
From another forum- apparently 'The Cricketer' reports the losses per county to be-

Derbyshire 1.5m
Durham 1.2m
Essex 1.4m
Glamorgan 5.4m
Gloucestershire 1.5 m
Hampshire 2.5m
Kent 1.5m
Lancashire 20m
Leicestershire 1m
Middlesex 1.6m
Northamptonshire 1m
Nottinghamshire figure not given
Somerset 1m
Surrey 30 m
Sussex figure not given (but I think I read 3 million somewhere)
Warwickshire figure not given
Worcestershire figure not given
Yorkshire 2.9 m

So, by and large, the test grounds hit the hardest (so to our advantage we are only tenants at Lord's), but unless Lancashire and Surrey are using different criteria with their figures their massive losses can't just be down to not furloughing.

I suppose it's money they expected to make, but didn't make, so it doesn't mean Surrey are 30 million in debt, just they are 30 million down on where they expected to be.

For others, they probably are in debt for roughly the figures given, as most counties declare a small profit or loss each year. Others will have debts from rebuilding loans that need paying off.

We appear (as is often the case) to be 'in the middle' so not as bad as some- but still not great.

dingy bags 12 October, 2020 14:09
Mexicans and Lanky make a huge amount of money from non-cricket sources. Most of these have been hit just like everything else. Because their incomes are so much higher than other counties', they have been hit harder.

Seaxe_man1 12 October, 2020 17:31
Lanky Warwick had debt afore Covid. Mexicans none nor Mx either but reserves are dwindling. Unable to use hospitality as dinghy said the root cause where Mx are unique in not having any.

chunkyinargyll 13 October, 2020 17:04
Maybe Surrey really are in trouble-

[www.thecricketer.com]

Another year like the one just gone and we might go back to the days of amateur players.

Not quite sure I believe that, but I suppose the higher you are, the further you have to fall.

chunkyinargyll 13 October, 2020 17:25
[www.espncricinfo.com]

Fewer reporters at county matches next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net