Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
MTWD Glossary
Discussion started by Middlesex till we die , 11 June, 2008 08:13
MTWD Glossary
Middlesex till we die 11 June, 2008 08:13
MTWD Glossary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/12/2008 22:09 by Ged.

Re: MTWD Glossary
Ged 11 June, 2008 08:25
We urgently need something decent for a few players named above. Also, we have absolutely nothing for Dawid Malan, Adam london, Shaun Levy and/or Kabir Toor, all of whom might conceivably get an outing this year.

Are there terms other than nicknames that we use with reckless abandon on MTWD that could do with explaining in the glossary? Post your ideas on this thread please.

MADAVAL 11 June, 2008 09:33
Adam London is ''GEYSER'' from Cockney geyser.
Shaun Levy is ''BLING''due to his sparkly earings.

Jeff Coleman 11 June, 2008 11:42
Scotty = Englands #1

Beeamazed 11 June, 2008 12:11
Tyrone Henderson aka 'The Blacksmith'.Origin dubious but has been suggested that he had an unfortunate incident with a brood mare or he has more shoes than Imelda Marcos.I would like to believe the latter but strangely enough the former sounds more probable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2008 13:51 by Beehappy.

BarmierKev 11 June, 2008 12:16
Our Billy could be called God or G-d to our religous jews

Wasn't Nannes nicknamed the " Cyclone" or is this now considered bad taste given certain international disaters?

I would to glossary alternative names for 20/20 cricket
Mickey Mouse
Its a Knockout
Baseball
Circus.
Lottery

All been used by MTWD users , even by people attending games

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jeff Coleman 11 June, 2008 12:22
20/20 tip n run

JSRF 11 June, 2008 17:11
Thank you for this!

Perhaps you could highlight this item in the left hand navigation for new members to refer to!

The Diamond ruled ok 11 June, 2008 18:16
You forgot H&G for the 20/20's Kev , hit and giggle.

Or in the case of David watching Essex at the Oval this evening , bowlers hit I giggle.Sorrys top three made three runs between them , nicely distributed ,one each .

BarmierKev 11 June, 2008 19:57
A few others to consider.

Some people have referred to Compton as "Compost."

Scott referred to by Turkeys as "Super Bat"- this when he was promoted and failed at 6, after failures at 7+8 ( present form may or may not invalidate this )

Richo- " Big Al"

Malan- "Where's your middle V", or "AC" or "Inter"

Henderson- "Hendo" or more appropriately "Typhoon"

London- "Streets of"

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Ged 11 June, 2008 20:06
Luv it - keep going.

(Middlesex batting in the 20-20 and this thread)

Janet Davis 11 June, 2008 20:12
According to the Cricketer's who's who Joycey is also known as 'Spud' and 'Piece'.

How about 'James' (after James Joyce)

Ged 12 June, 2008 08:24
Update posted and thanks for all the suggestions. Keep thos esuggestions coming but I think we are starting to hit the size limit for a single feature, so we might have to apply some triage to the ideas.

Beeamazed 12 June, 2008 08:59
Could Irish Ed's nickname 'Piece' have a very convoluted derivation from Peace and Joy?As in Peacie and Joycie(sic).BTW I think I'm going down with something......

MADAVAL 12 June, 2008 11:45
Dawid is indeed A.C.after the Italian soccer team of a similar,name but his brother on the MCC YC staff is INTER.
Some alternatives are the more popular WOODY for Silverwood,LURCH for Finn and LORD for Strauss after Lord Brockett.
Henderson is THE BLACKSMITH due to his mighty hitting(I,ve yet to see him hit off the square)Godelmann sometimes just referred to as ''G''.
Murali known in India as ''THE TRICKSTER''
New boy Sam Robson is guess what ''ROBBO''and Dave Burton is off course ''MONTY''after the tailor.
I do have a glossary of NICK NAMES too for memberes of our much put upon committee members GED,details on request,or perhaps a little quiz I give you a nick-name and you identify them.
E.G.SLAPHEAD?SNIFFER?and MINESADOUBLE?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 16:41 by loverboy.

MADAVAL 12 June, 2008 11:51
And then of course we move on to the posters and moderators with whom we are all most familiar just to start off with GED-who is naturally ''THE WEBMEISTER''

Janet Davis 12 June, 2008 20:20
How about a racing type nick-name for Silverwood due to his stables.

I can only think of 'Horse' at the moment

The Diamond ruled ok 12 June, 2008 22:53
Or "mare" if he's had a poor game . Come on there must be something better out there !

adelaide 12 June, 2008 22:56
Given one of the other threads, perhaps Ed Joyce should be Ed>=50and<100? OK, not very catchy, except for mathematicians...

Beeamazed 13 June, 2008 09:22
Can we assume he made a good fist of it?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net