Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Quarters Here We Are!! Middx v Kent at Uxbridge
Discussion started by Middlesex till we die , 25 June, 2008 00:33
Middlesex till we die 25 June, 2008 00:33

Re: Quarters Here We Are!! Middx v Kent at Uxbridge
BarmierKev 25 June, 2008 00:42
Great report.

Had I not been there and known result, from majority of reading I'd have guessed we'd lost.

But then again, throughout I wasn't conviced we were going to win and I share view that Kent were more determined to make 2's out of 1. Boundries, however, seemed to dominate majorly the proportion of scoring.

Daria for future reports. Ur hired!

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

David_Webmaster 25 June, 2008 09:37
Well played!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2008 09:40 by David_Webmaster.

dynamo_harrow 25 June, 2008 17:12
Wonderful report - more like this please!

Seaxe_Man 26 June, 2008 05:51
An excellent report Daria - I agree with your sentiments with regard to the fielding which although it did'nt cost us in the end at Uxers, it did cost us at Richmond. The running of twos instead of ones, may have been inhibited a little by the early loss of Strauss/Godleman but your general point is valid. The Mafia also consider that returns to the wicket are wayward: and hitting the stumps from anywhere seems to be a lost art for The Middle; an hour's practice with Jonty Rhodes might help. Apart from that: we had an enjoyable evening in the Uxers Pav: being joined by Umpire Barry Leadbeater for an hour's chat. As he was one of the umpires at the infamous ' bad light ' game against Derbyshire: he received a lot of questions on that, which to his credit he answered fairly and fully. He confirmed that the umpires are now the sole arbiters of bad light. Batters and fielders are excluded. He also denied that the ECB set fixed light figures: saying that in the umpires view, each ground has it's own acceptable level. Lord's for instance with its high stands: is more susceptible to bad light than say Uxers where it is more open in his opinion. Anyway, after an enjoyable chat, he shook our hands and we weaved our way home up Gatting Way. C'mon The Middle.

Seaxe_Man 26 June, 2008 07:31
As a footnote to your excellent report Daria: Charles Randall (D.Telegraph) reported it thus: How did it go: Midd-x decided to set a total, but struggled until Eoin, who narrowly missed the hog roast with the first of five sixes, began to dominate with fellow leftie Dawid Malan ( Dawid has been a find for us in 20/20, augmenting his steady batting with excellent fielding SM). Kent were pinned back by spin and slick fielding until they needed 14 off the last over, expertly bowled by seamer Tyrone Henderson. Good day: Veteran Udal, with 3 Kent wickets for only 19. Bad day: Simon Cook blitzed by his former county. X-factor: 2 sharp stumpings by Ben Scott undid Kent. What the result means: relief for Middlesex after 2 successive defeats. They re-open a gap at the top, and replica pink shirts are becoming a phenomenal best-seller at Eric Howes club shop. ( there were certainly a much higher percentage of pinkies in the crowd SM). Match rating: Exciting 9/10. Footnote: met Janet in the Ux Pav and she was excited and said her journey by Met to KX and then bus to Southers and vv had been fine with no probs

Seaxe_Man 28 June, 2008 16:07
Ed Joyce interview with The Harrow Times: Skipper Ed Joyce believes the side can go all the way to the final. Joyce said: " We are on a bit of a high at the moment and have stumbled on a formula that works. It's really important to get a good start in the competition and we have just gone on from there." " The win over Kent was really important because we needed to bounce back after two defeats in a row. We made a poor start but Eoin and Dawid had a great partnership. But the combined bowling and fielding was again probably the difference for us. " " We need to make sure we get a home draw in the next round and that will give us a real advantage. It's pretty exciting to think we are one win from the finals day and we really want to get there."

Ged 18 July, 2008 06:30
One of my favourite recent discoveries is the King Cricket website, where people post occasional match reports, the main criterion being that the report must not talk about the cricket at all.

Not in any way detracting from Daria's superb MTWD report, I thought that some readers might enjoy a trip down memory lane with the Soviet Onion from King Cricket:

Soviet Onion's Match Report on King Cricket

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net