Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in about.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Surrey Week Part 2
Posted by: Farmer White
Date: 10/08/2017 09:27
Somerset lalala

There is a slightly more recent similar example to yours from 2010

Somerset scored 517 and at the end of the second day Notts were 278 for 5. 239 behind. After 76 overs of the third day Notts had been bowled out for 339 and 190 and Somerset won by 10 wickets. Willoughby the destroyer in the first innings with 6 and Thomas in the second with 5. In the match Suppiah took 1 and Kartik 3.

Grizzzly

Don’t start me on a debate. We could be here some time! And I am going to put my neck right on the line here.

Most successful risk taking is calculated risk taking. Here I don’t think the calculations give us enough of a chance especially as defeat would really make things hard. There are routes to salvation following a draw. Far less following a defeat.

At the moment Surrey cannot win this match. If we do a deal they can. So much of cricket is played in the head. Giving them a chance risks giving them unexpected hope they do not currently have. That could fire them up. Giving them no chance means there is a possibility, though a relatively small one given what is known about fourth day Taunton pitches, that they might feel some pressure if Somerset knocked two or three over in the first hour. We do have two spinners who could then apply pressure.

The draw is very heavily odds on but I think given the history and the psychology of cricket we actually have a better chance today of taking 19 wickets than we do of taking 10.

Unless of course the deal is Surrey chase to the end come what may for that would apply the pressure evenly to both sides and is probably the only way of giving both sides an even chance on a fourth day Taunton pitch. But that would open up a whole other argument…

Mike

At Taunton the outfield is cut daily in a match to keep conditions as even as possible throughout.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net