Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 26TH season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be this long after the planned start date.....

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Posted by: AG on apple
Date: 17/05/2018 12:23
"That said the reality is Somerset need to stay within ECB guidelines if they are to avoid a points deduction in 2018. There is, therefore, likely to be an understandable reluctance to produce overly spin friendly pitches. I have no expertise whatsoever where pitches are concerned. Apart from being green or not they all look the same to me. I would not therefore wish to underestimate in any way the complexities of the situation. However, I wonder if there would be some benefit, if records are kept that far back and if it has not already been done, in looking at exactly what went into pitch preparation in, and in the lead up to, 2011 and seeing if there is anything that can be replicated now."

I think the point remains that two years of trying to produce turning tracks showed us that it's actually rather easy to produce turning tracks, whilst remaining within the guidelines. No previous track that turned prodigiously was assessed as 'below average.'

Even if I'm wrong about that, I think we come back to 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

It will be obvious, as you yourself said, that we're not going to win the CC on tracks like the one present on the final day here (in truth I think it did very little on day three too and I thought most of the assistance on the first two days came through the air).

I maintain that, on tracks that seam a lot, Somerset are a 50:50 proposition to win, at best. Okay, we happen to be 2-0 this season but I didn't think we out-bowled Worcs but rather we won because we out-caught them. Had both sides been equally good (or equally bad) at catching, I think we would probably have lost. We've had many, many bad batting performances on seaming tracks away from home - one thinks particularly of horror shows at New Road and Headingley during the 2016 season. Also near constant defeats at CLS. We don't have an advantage, relative to most CC1 sides, in seam bowling resources.

I think if we look at the home games over the past 2 years where there has been significant turn, we'd find that our record is better than 50:50 - probably significantly so because we have a, frankly, overwhelming cumulative advantage in spin bowling resources compared to your average CC1 side.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net