Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Football thread another new one
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 27/04/2017 10:16
LP

Yes, it is some achievement, but what exactly is the point? The problem with youth team products breaking through seems now to be ingrained. Mourinho clearly didn't trust anyone not bought in but I had thought that different managers would find a way. I would not describe everyone in the current Chelsea team as a great player but those players (not of course from the youth team) recently brought in fit the way Conte wants to play. Great teams normally contain a mix of great players and good players playing above themselves for a period, or who fit that system but possibly not another, so that is par for the course. But that means that it should always be possible for the leading youth players to have a shot at it and I'm sure you would like that to happen. But it has not been the case since John Terry - best part of twenty years.

Maybe the Chelsea youth model makes money even without players making it to first team level but what about the interests of the players (and of the game itself?) The question to me is why strong youth players join Chelsea in the first place. Odds are that their eventual career will be somewhere else (to be fair, that's true of nearly all youth teams but the odds seem a lot worse at Chelsea). Have they acquired a better football upbringing by being at Chelsea and then at multiple clubs on loan rather than joining a less rich club such as Southampton, where they are much more likely to get a first team chance and perhaps end up with more chance of ending up at a top club? Is it just better money?

Again, to be fair, Spurs have had a reputation at times of not bringing through youth players. While they were bought in, John Bostock and Dean Perrett spring to mind, both the best thing since sliced bread at 17 but never making the breakthrough and featuring now in Div 2, I think. I can't help thinking they should have stayed at Palace and QPR. Things look different at the Lane now but I;m not foolish enough to assume that things will always remain like that.

But for now the cynic in me sees the Youth Cup final as a showcase for players who will be coming shortly to a lower league near you.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net