Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Somerset at Ciderabad 25-28 Sept 2017
Posted by: AGod
Date: 28/09/2017 09:33
I think, MIke, there's an element of "pitch in player's head."

I think that's been an element in our Somerset batting this year (at home) and I think one could see that in the Middx first innings too.

One problem about a team's officials complaining about a pitch is that it can plant the idea in the heads of their players that 'gosh, batting really is impossible.'

In the Middx first innings, I thought that both Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling seemed to reject that notion in decisive fashion, viz the way that they approached things. They seemed neither unduly tentative nor fatalistic in their attitude.

In contrast, I thought that Adam Voges's attitude seemed poor. He spent the first evening shrugging his shoulders at the umpires as though to say 'this is impossible,' then waited all of five minutes on day two to sashay down the pitch and try and hit one over the top - I interpreted this attempt as a further indication of resignation viz the pitch (we have to try and smash some runs because there's zero chance of playing a long innings on this).

Middx fans are likely to see (if you watch on the live feed) that the track will be at its slowest and least responsive today. There might be occasional low bounce and I'm sure some balls will still turn but, overall, a fourth day Taunton track IS the type on which a team can dig in. In the most recent match, Lancashire batted for more than 100 overs in their second innings at Taunton (having made diddly squat in their first innings).

Because this is Somerset and we never do anything easily, I expect today to conclude with a frantic final half hour with the Watford Wall obdurately trying to block Jack Leach...

Good luck to all!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net