Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Hilton Cartwright
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 30/06/2018 23:46
Quote:
Jack Hearne
Quote:
hdo
Quote:
Primrose Hillbilly
Did we not also have an Indian seamer with us for a time - when Owais was with us - and despite opening the bowling with Srinath for India, he never took a wicket for us?

I believe you're talking about Ajit Agarkar. Another underwhelming overseas player.

An Indian leg-spinner Yogesh Golwalkar played briefly towards the end of the 2005 season. However he took six wickets on his debut versus Kent.

Ajit Agarkar took three wickets versus Gloucestershire as a short-term replacement for Glenn McGrath in 2004.

We were under strict instructions from Cricket Australia to limit McGrath's appearances during his brief spell with us.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Agarkar and McGrath played in the same team at Southgate against Kent in 2004, so one cannot have been a short term replacement for the other. I saw day 3. I can recall some determined chanting of Agarkar's name, totally unrelated to what was going on in front of them, by supporters who were presumably of Indian origin! Our attack was McGrath, Agarkar, Cook, Betts, Weekes, Dalrymple (and Shah). Cook was about to depart for Kent, I think and Betts was, well, Betts, so the seeds of our decline to come were pretty visible.

As Middlesex built their lead on day 3, I can recall some Kent supporters saying that they might as well have been playing Narnia as Middlesex wasn't a real county. I countered by pointing out that an unreal county was giving their real one a bit of a bashing. They were not optimistic about saving the match; as their second innings opened Roger Joseph came ambling round the ground, to noisy shouts of "get your pads on, Roger"!

The match was drifting to a draw on day 4 until Shah took a vital wicket.

Mr Golwalkar surely has the distinction of having taken the wicket that saved us at Surrey's expense, so I can't Bear criticsim of Yogi.

Adelaide

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net