Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Where are our Popes, our Currans, our Virdis
Posted by: seaxeman
Date: 08/08/2018 14:26
Quote:
adelaide
Toby Radford took over at some time during the 2007 season (when Pybus left) and resigned in the middle of the 2009 season at a time when were bottom of CC2 (and had finished bottom of our T20 group). He resigned because a restructure (the one that brought Gus in?) had downgraded his job description.
So he had two years, albeit just one full season. It would be unfair to blame him for the mid-2009 position, given that the wider issues which led him to resign may also have influenced the performance of the team but cack seems a fair description of the position at the time. It is interesting that we went from hero to zero in T20 with the same coach, rather like we have in the CC under Scott, but maybe that is the nature of the T20 game.

I didn't think I needed to mention the 2017 relegation, as it is so fresh in our minds. People presumably didn't mention the 2016 CC for similar reasons but it does seem unfair to (in effect) say he played little part when we very very good but was to blame when we were very very bad.

I'd also query whether it is cackier to be relegated or to finish close to bottom of the table after relegation, though admittedly (unlike 2017) there was nothing remotely marginal or unlucky about 2006.

Whether it was down to Radford, to the weakness of the squad or to internal issues, it wasn't great under his tenure. It seemed to me there was a bit of rewriting of history going on, with his record being played up and Scott's played down. I think that sort of thing should left to the White House!

Adelaide

Dug out the Year Books on this period of turbulent Middlesex CCC history, Years 2007 to 2010.

These record the following:

2007 Director of Cricket JE Emburey Academy Director T. Radford

Not mentioned for obvious reasons was that Richard Pybus was the initial Head Coach but not listed.

As we know he quit mid season because as stated he had no Lords Office. Plus a remark that his wife did not like shopping in London I seem to remember.

We finished 3rd in Division 2 with Radford taking over the reins from Pybus.

2008 Head Coach T A Radford and Richard Scott appears as 2nd Xi coach.

In the Championship 2nd Division, we again finish 3rd. Plus for the one and only time T20 Champions.

2009 ARC Fraser is listed as Director of Cricket. R J Scott as Head coach.

As we know Radford resigned in July due to perception (correctly) that his job had been downgraded. (constructive dismissal?)

This was the year of the restructuring and a new hierarchy. True to form it was out with the old in with the new.

In his notes Vinny said he regretted his decision after working six hard years at the Middle. VC also added the dressing room was not a happy place in 2009. Given some of the personalities, unsurprising.

At any rate we finished 8th in Division 2.

2010 RJ Scott Head Coach we finished 8th again in Division 2.

In summarising, Radford's one and half seasons brought two 3rd places in the CC, so, not to cacky.

And no, I don't see that any of the above is connected to not fancying vassal status.

Just the good old Middle at work.

That is my case for the Defence M'Lud.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net