Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Overseas Signing ?
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 11/02/2019 19:06
If Mujeeb ur Rahman’s performances for Middlesex are in line with his career record, then he will be an excellent signing. His main attribute seems to be his economy, which I am sure his teammates will appreciate, as it will build pressure for the bowlers to exploit and will reduce the amount of runs our batsmen need to score.

However, it seems that I was correct to anticipate that the idea of making overseas signings would not be universally welcomed, as Lower Mound has complained that he would rather we had retained Ravi Patel than bring in a younger model.

It isn’t a big surprise that we have brought in a spinner after last year signing Ashton Agar, as the only contracted spinner at the club who I imagine is in contention for our Twenty20 campaign is Nathan Sowter. Beyond that, we have Ollie Rayner (no Twenty20 appearances since 2016), Thilan Walallawita (if his visa gets sorted) and Luke Hollman (admittedly good enough to play for England U-19s), although they could get a chance if anything happens to Mujeeb and/or Sowter. And knowing how unlucky we sometimes are with overseas signings, the possibility of something happening to Mujeeb cannot be discounted.

As I have said, I am certain that we will aim to ensure that we play all of our Twenty20 matches with both overseas player berths filled. Last season, we signed Dwayne Bravo, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we once again sign an all-rounder, preferably one who constantly delivers. It would surely help their consistency if they are not at the tail end of their career like Bravo and Brendon McCullum were when they played for us.

A few weeks ago, we announced several contract extensions in the space of a few days, so maybe the next couple of days will see an announcement about a County Championship overseas player and/or a second Twenty20 overseas player.

Before Mujeeb plays for Middlesex, he will hopefully represent Afghanistan in the World Cup, so shouldn’t arrive at Middlesex needing to remind himself about English conditions after he played for Hampshire last season. Afghanistan will be one of the few teams at the World Cup who won’t be expected to challenge for the title, so I can see them thriving as underdogs and recording a couple of wins against established nations.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net