Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Ravi Patel to leave Middlesex
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 15/02/2019 11:48
If the doomsday scenario came to pass, what would a joint Minor/Displaced Counties competition look like?

My guess is that it would become similar to the current Minor Counties competition, with few pros and little infrastructure. There's an argument that owning and having to maintain an underutilised county ground would actually become a millstone in that scenario. I would imagine that sponsorship income would drop like a stone and the income from hosting business or other events is hardly going to increase. Paying for a business event at a venue which used to be used for first class cricket does not have the same cachet as being where the greats (still) play.

The other scenario is that somehow the existing counties carry on not too dissimilar to what they are now but playing Minor Counties. I doubt that is feasible but if that was the outcome there would be a huge disparity between the traditional Minor Counties and displaced counties - much larger than that between CC1 and even the foot of CC2, I think.

Thinking real doomsday, what is the position of life members if a county goes belly up or becomes a glorified Minor County? I suspect that they would be stuffed but it could be argued that they were signing up for their life, not that of the county.

Adelaide

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net