Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Back in the red
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 11/09/2019 17:54
I can’t be too unhappy about how today went, as we struck a psychological blow (and more importantly helped our match position) by denying Durham the 30+ first innings lead they were hopeful of, and it would usually be very respectable to bowl an opponent out for 191. And we then struck another psychological blow by knocking 21 off our target before the close without losing a wicket. However, in a low-scoring match such as this, 191 feels like a large total, and the fact we incurred a first innings deficit means that we will have to go past it (although the work of our tail this morning means that the amount by which we will have to go past it is just 5).

I switched on the BBC commentary when I got home, and it felt bittersweet to hear that Durham’s wicket tally was 8 and our over rate was -1. From the point of view of keeping our target down, I was keen for Durham to be all out as soon as possible, and was glad that their final two wickets indeed fell while I was listening. However, the fact our over rate was in the red meant that I was hopeful that we could sort it out before the innings ended, meaning I am disappointed that it didn't sound like we showed any desire to do so considering we continued bowling Steven Finn rather than turn to part-time spin or even George Scott, who I doubt has a long run-up and had earlier proven to be capable of taking wickets when he dismissed Ben Raine. Hopefully Don Shelley will indeed sort it out.

As play went on until about 6:30pm, I could have attended after work.

We could enter next week’s match v Lancashire at Old Trafford with our fast bowling department in a decent state of health. We signed Miguel Cummins to lighten our fast bowlers’ workload, which meant that we didn’t have to select Toby Roland-Jones (who we might have felt forced to select had we not been so well-staffed) or Tom Helm for this match. Of our three domestic fast bowlers who played in this match, they were all amongst the wickets - so can all take confidence from this match - and the fact we took just 123.4 overs to take 20 wickets meant that their workload wasn’t particularly heavy. Plus, our bowlers will not need to do any bowling on the final two days of this match. We should know by this time tomorrow whether we will arrive at Old Trafford with our promotion hopes still alive.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net