Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Dawid Malan moving to Yorkshire
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 04/11/2019 19:23
As Middlesex will be entering the 2020 season hoping to substantially improve on a third successive disappointing County Championship campaign, I was hopeful that the quality of our squad would improve from 2019. However, the loss of Dawid Malan, the fact that our only winter signing (well, some may say he is a winter signing, while others may say he was signed during the 2019 season) so far has been Miguel Cummins and the fact that I am not sure whether there is any possibility of us signing any domestic players means that we will need at least one signing in addition to Peter Handscomb for our squad in 2020 to be stronger than in 2019.

This move was first hinted in an article in the Mail on Sunday in September, which suggested that an end-of-season review was expected to conclude that Middlesex would be a better club without Malan, which I found to be a strange conclusion considering there wasn’t much argument that he was our best player in 2019 and one of the most talented players in our squad. As has been said on this thread, maybe Malan had a fall-out with Stuart Law and possibly other people at the club. An article today in the Guardian with quotes from Malan which I had not seen elsewhere seems to confirm that there was a fall-out, although it says that after Malan had made his decision that he would be leaving, he discovered that his vision for the club wasn’t much different to Law’s vision.

If Malan believes his future would be better at Yorkshire than at Middlesex, then it would be difficult for Middlesex to stand in his way. Regardless of whether he had a clause in his contract, I would be disappointed if we don’t receive compensation from Yorkshire due to Malan leaving before his contract at Middlesex had expired.

Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
People seem to be taking it for granted that Handscomb is coming. Where's the evidence?

As Beefy has said, today’s Evening Standard reports that it is expected that Handscomb will sign as captain and overseas player. I hope that, as a minimum, we indeed sign either Handscomb or someone of his quality, otherwise most of our players would have to step up and perform much better than in 2019. In fact, regardless of whether or not there are any signings, we could do with our existing players all stepping up.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net