Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Dawid Malan memories
Posted by: Fozzie
Date: 05/11/2019 12:44
Dawid is such an supremely elegant batsman, and so often a joy to watch, that as with Gower it is often easy to forget the application he shows. I remember the first time I saw him score a century, against Derbyshire in our promotion season of 2011; when he and Robbo came off at lunch after battling all morning on a pitch that had been more difficult than first anticipated, the signs of intense concentration and mental effort on Dawid's face were evident.

Equally, when I recall the memorable day in 2016 when we beat Yorkshire to win the Championship, the memories that first come to mind are that strangely bathetic period when the arranged run chase was being set up, followed by the breathless Yorkshire innings that was ultimately blown away by Toby. I tend to overlook that incredibly tense morning session when Dawid and Gubbo, resuming on 80-2 after coming together at 2-2 the previous evening, and with Middlesex still in deficit, had to find a balance between occupying the crease and scoring runs sufficiently quickly to give a chance of victory. They did so brilliantly, putting on about 120 that session, with Dawid ending on 116. Without those knocks there would have been no platform for Toby.

Finally, on a very personal note, although my late daughter was primarily an England supporter her final visit to Lord's was to see Middlesex v Gloucestershire in a one-day match in 2013, when she enjoyed seeing Dawid score 113 not out in typically graceful manner. That's a nice memory.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net