Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: End of first class University Cricket
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 16/12/2019 21:46
Although the line-ups that universities have tended to field against counties has rarely been of a great standard since I began following cricket, it is a pity that it seems that ECB will cease finding the universities, as it is a scheme which has saved many players from having to choose between education and cricket, and has enabled players to gain qualifications which could be important for life post-cricket.

I would have thought that the rationale behind ECB’s decision to end the funding is because the line-ups are often of a low standard, and because they have used up a lot of their reserves on The Hundred.

Universities cricket used to be funded by MCC, but I think that they felt that, as private members’ club, they shouldn't be expected to take responsibility for the scheme, which is why ECB took over.

I am glad to say that I am struggling to name many cricketers who have taken their own lives in the last 20 years. However, I don’t think that suicide was so rare in previous eras. I wonder how much of this improvement is testament to how the universities scheme and the work of PCA has helped prepare players for the challenges that they may face when their career comes to an end.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net