Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Mitch Marsh to come and have a blast
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 21/02/2020 19:40
As Middlesex will enter the T20 Blast in 2020 without AB de Villiers, Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling, I was hopeful that we would sign a top-class batsman specifically for this competition instead of simply selecting Peter Handscomb. Therefore, it is great news that we have signed Mitchell Marsh. We will have to see whether this will be the springboard to us making a second successive venture to the knockout stages. If we are able to qualify, then that would be a significantly greater achievement than in 2019 due to this winter’s departures.

In 2019, Nathan Sowter, Steven Finn, Tom Helm, Toby Roland-Jones, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mohammad Hafeez and Tom Barber bowled 1,481 of the 1,541 balls in our Blast campaign, as we rarely went beyond our five main bowling selections or employed the tactic of having four main bowlers and making up four overs with part-time bowlers. However, although I imagine that we will once again enter each match with five main bowlers in 2020, I can see Marsh doing some bowling, in which case we won’t feel obliged to make a bowler deliver their whole allocation in the event of the opposition taking a liking to their bowling.

I was worried that the fact that Marsh has now returned to the Australia side (his appearance in a 107 run T20 win v South Africa today was only his second international since December 2018) would scupper our chances of signing him, but thankfully not.

It would have been nice had de Villiers returned, but the February 2020 edition of The Cricketer said that although he hopes to play for us again at some point in the future, he wishes to take a rest after playing in the IPL in 2020 due to his hope that he can play for South Africa at the T20 World Cup later this year. Therefore, it would feel a bit disappointing if a suggestion I read in an article on BBC that he could play for Welsh Fire at this year’s Hundred proves true, although I probably wouldn't feel bothered to hold it against him. South Africa could certainly benefit from de Villiers coming back to their side!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net