Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Women's T20 World cup
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 05/03/2020 19:55
It was a cruel way for England to exit this tournament, but I am not sure whether I can have much complaint about the fact that India qualified at England’s expense due to India having won their group. Still, it would have been great had there been a reserve day available. No doubt, some people will feel that England were due to be on the wrong end of the regulations after what happened in the final of the men’s 50-over World Cup in 2019, when a strong argument could be made that New Zealand should have won after losing fewer wickets, or that Ben Stokes shouldn’t have received anywhere near six runs for his diving header towards the Warner stand (did the batsmen cross for two? was it morally right that runs for the overthrow should have been awarded?), or that a second Super Over should have taken place after the first was tied. On that occasion, the way cricket is worked against England, but today was the opposite side of the coin.

However, some salt was rubbed into the wound when today’s other semi-final not only took place, but also saw victory for the team who would have been eliminated in the event of a wash-out, namely Australia. The other disappointing aspect of that match seeing play is that a wash-out would have seen another reversal of fortunes compared to something which happened in a previous 50-over men’s World Cup, as the famous semi-final in 1999 between Australia and South Africa at Edgbaston saw Australia advance after the match was tied due to them having finished ahead in the Super Six stage, whereas a wash-out today would have seen South Africa advance.

I felt that the worst effect of England’s defeat in their opening match v South Africa would have been that it got their tournament off to a bad start and would give them a bit of a mountain to climb in their remaining group matches, but I didn’t envisage that the result would ultimately eliminate England from the tournament.

This tournament will end how it started, with Australia playing India.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net