Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Coronavirus
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 15/03/2020 19:05
I personally think that the most sensible option for English domestic cricket would be to tear up the published 2020 fixturelist, and draw up a new one to fill up the time between whenever the season is likely to start and the end of September. I am confident that the County Championship and T20 Blast will still take place, and it would be a surprise if ECB abandon their plans to play The Hundred after all their investment into the tournament, but the Royal London Cup may be at risk of not taking place. Whatever competitions take place, they may have to take place with teams facing each other team in their division or group once, although a hurdle to this would be that the Championship has 10 teams in division one and 8 teams in division two, so facing each team once would result in 9 matches in division one and 7 matches in division two. At least a season structured like this may fulfil many people's desire for some Championship matches to take place away from the margins of the season.

The above scenario sounds preferable to simply writing-off whatever matches were scheduled before the point when cricket is allowed to be played, and then beginning the season with whatever matches were scheduled after that point, as it would run the risk of some teams having more opportunity to play Championship matches than other teams, and some teams facing two matches against certain opponents and no matches against other opponents.

I am not sure how much desire there would be for the season to run into October. Even if the weather turns out to be dry and the temperatures not unpleasant (as the weather occasionally is in October), there would still be a risk of the light being poor even with the use of floodlights.

I am not sure what will happen with England’s internationals scheduled for this summer.

As my parents may be required to self-isolate, I expect that I will have to do some shopping for them. As there is unlikely to be much sport for me to attend or watch on TV in the coming weeks, there won’t be much excuse for me not to do this. However, it begs the question as to who will do the shopping when I get coronavirus (as I often catch whatever bugs go around, it would set alarm bells ringing if I don't get coronavirus).

As I don’t think that the world has faced a situation like this ever before, I don’t think that anyone involved in government or the organisation of sport should feel ashamed about not being entirely sure what to do.

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
the vast amounts of England supporters who would have attended this [Sri Lanka v England] series may have been carriers of coronavirus

The word ‘vast’ in that sentence was not a reference to how many England supporters may have been carriers of coronavirus, but was a reference to how many England supporters there would have been.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net