Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Remember 2016
Posted by: Supporting Middlesex since 1999
Date: 20/04/2020 19:33
While James Franklin was at Middlesex, I wasn’t particularly keen on him, as he wasn’t consistent with the bat, he didn’t bowl as many overs as I felt an all-rounder ought to, and I can’t stop myself from feeling that Franklin’s presence caused Ryan Higgins to feel that the position of County Championship all-rounder at Middlesex would never become vacant, despite Franklin being bound to retire at some point.

However, Franklin occasionally played important innings and took important wickets, and it is clear that Ollie Rayner (and maybe some other players) preferred playing under the captaincy of Franklin as opposed to under Dawid Malan.

The article in Wisden Cricket Monthly which I wrote about above features Rayner and Franklin saying that despite us hoping that we would use our second-placed finish in 2015 and title win in 2016 as a springboard to have several more successful seasons, we didn’t really have a plan in place for how we would achieve this. Had we bothered to draw up a plan, I would like to have thought that it would have included saying to Higgins that he would play a big part in the club for the next dozen or so years.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net