Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Eating away over the winter

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Happy Middlesex day
Posted by: adelaide
Date: 17/09/2020 14:04
Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Certainly Staines Sunbury and Shepperton which continue to be situated North of the Thames. Also Shepherds Bush so I could claim to support a Middlesex football team.

Ah, there you go. Shepherd's Bush became part of the county of London rather than Middlesex in 1889, so you want to go back over 130 years.

Of course that was a transfer from one county council to another. I am too young to know whether there was a campaign pre-1965 for the restoration of the pre-1889 Middlesex. I rather doubt it. I also doubt whether there are campaigns for pre-1965 Essex, Kent or Surrey, or pre-1974 Worcestershire. Seems to me that is because an administrative county of that name still existed, whereas Middlesex was (in an administrative sense) abolished. It is if the absence of the label is all that matters.

Which brings me to SM's Eric Pickles letter, which said that people were free to use the traditional names. Well of course they are. People are free to say they live in Wessex if they want but that's all it is, an emotional label. That's completely different from (yet another) reorganisation recreating a county council. The name "Pickles " and the phrase "good sense" don't go well in the same sentence but it seems that Pickles had the good sense to stick to the harmless populism which was all he was really good for, rather than supporting real change!

BTW, I wonder whether the inhabitants of Staines and Shepperton would really want to be returned to a county which had inner city problems to deal with?

Use whatever labels you like, folks, but please don't confuse it with things which really affect peoples' lives, like how things are run.

Adelaide

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net